Skate Banana size for 6 foot 3 / 220lbs - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 05:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Skate Banana size for 6 foot 3 / 220lbs

Title says it all really. I have size 12 (UK) boots and I'm wanting to do all mountain and freestyle riding in general but maybe get into some park too.

Currently riding an Option supercap 161W if anyone remembers them as its a pretty old board. Always felt a bit unwieldy for freestyle (maybe it's just my skill set)

Thinking of getting the 162W skate banana...is this the right choice at 6.3 and 200lb? - I may be a little heavier by next season as I do weights. Hoping that the more modern and lively board will be better for freestyle and park even though it's basically the same size...but also want to get decent speed/stability carving down the mountain
Terrapinmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry- should be:"is this the right choice at 6.3 and 220lb"
Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would think that at your size there are probably plenty of boards better than a skate banana for all mountain freestyle. There are people here with way more experience riding a wide array of boards than me, hopefully they chime in with some recommendations
taco tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ah right. I was mainly looking at the skate banana as it gets good reviews and is often touted as a good all rounder. Also I've seen a lot of them about on mountain and I've found where to get one very cheap on an offer. However I'm very open to changing. Is there anything in particular about the banana that you think is unsuitable?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapinmonster View Post
but also want to get decent speed/stability carving down the mountain
The skate banana will not be beneficial to charging groomers at all. It's more or less a park specific board. A 162w is a good size for you, but full rocker board will not be beneficial to speed or stability at speed.(the occasional skate banana rider may argue this).If you want stability and speed, your going to want some camber in your board whether it be rocker dominant or camber dominant. RCR is camber dominant and CRC is a rocker dominant board.

Which is more important speed/stability(RCR), or park/playful(CRC)? If you prefer Lib, any C2, EC2 most boards will fall in the middle of what you want. ie. Jamie Lynn, Lando, Phoenix, Attack Banana, TRS etc.

TT
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks that's really useful. I was originally looking at the attack banana so maybe that would be a better bet. I was just swayed by finding the skate banana significantly cheaper...but then if it won't do what I need it's a pointless saving. Haven't really done much park but was hoping to get into it..but I guess priority is speed/carvability and General freestyle..so attack banana 162W?
Old 06-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Actually attack banana is 161w but still
Old 06-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapinmonster View Post
Actually attack banana is 161w but still
I owned an attack banana, and loved it. It's playful enough to butter/press/jib and jump but still has plenty of stability at speed. I think a 161W would be fine for you.

TT
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

I maybe will turn my attention back to the attack as what your describing sounds perfect. In which case I'll wait and see if I can get a good price..was gonna be depressing enough buying a new board in the middle of summer and just having it sit there for months but was tempted by the deal...this way I can shop round a bit more over summer before next season
Old 06-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Don't know how much the Banana was but this is a better all mountain freestyle board than both the Libs you're looking at:
http://www.theboardbasement.com/nitr...d-colours.html
Snow Hound is offline   Reply With Quote