Worst equipment failure story - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Worst equipment failure story

Ive noticed everyone has interesting stories, but they only come up when someone is asking about gear. Feel free to share more than one.

My worst happened last year, I was riding my Technine MFM Pro Bindings. which I was originally stoked on, (see page 2:http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...ught-me-3.html).

Technine has this issue, nothing they use on their bindings is Loctite'd. So I lost parts of my bindings randomly while riding.

Last year I was at Mt. La Crosse in WI for college night ($10 lift tickets). I was cruising through the park when I went for a toeside turn and my rear foot fell out of my bindings. Turns out the screw that held in my ankle strap came undone, leaving my strap laying before the lip of a rail. Which I hit without an ankle strap, and cleared. and if youve ever gone end over end on a board with one foot strapped in there is alot of torque on your hip.. It kind of sucked, last time I ever buy Technine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

And I quote:

"I honestly just spent the last hour working on my bindings. The MFM Pros are the most legit binding Ive ever seen, I think maybe moreso than the 390. Sorry to all you Rome Fanbois, but after adjusting my heelcup, and forward lean and rotating my high back these things feel amazing and I dialed them in perfectly to fit my boot. A little hard work paid off with these, They are on clearance on backcountryoutlet.com GO GET THEM!!!"

stoepstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I did say I was originally stoked on them... that stoke was before I got to ride them
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I know im sorry im just giving you a hard time. Equipment failures suck. A similar thing happened to me with my burton cartels. I sold them to some kid I dont like
stoepstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Back in the day when Snowboard binding tech was still in it's infancy a few companies tried to reduce the size of the highback, believing that it would be lighter weight and respond better. I figured i'd give a pair of them a go and they didn't really work at all and they didn't last too long. I lasted three riding days with them and then one of the straps just broke right off while I was riding. The bail was hard and I had to walk down to the lift which was brutal.

Another bad story. I got a Volcom jacket that I was really stoked on for a while. I liked it so much I wanted to go ride in it right away. So I went riding the next day. Thing was that the temp was -35, the windchill made it -40 something. They should've shut down the lifts but they didn't. The jacket had a metal zipper and when I went to zip it up all the way to the top when I was on the lift the damn zipper broke. The jacket fell open and I was completely exposed to the cold and the wind. I rode down trying to hold my jacket closed but a lot of the cold got to me. I was so cold I almost got hypothermia.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

In NZ in August my mate's old and beaten set of Cartels first lost one of the screws holding the highback on, then the next day he had a strap srew fall out. Lucky for him he noticed both before he started riding, I don't blame the bindings tho, I blame the fact they are old and he doesn't check his shit.

Gonna end in a severe case of broken ass syndrome some day, I keep drumming it into him to check his shit but he's blissfully ignorant along with a lot of other people.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesale View Post
The bail was hard and I had to walk down to the lift which was brutal.
I woulda said screw it and rode the board down Flexible Flyer style!
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't have anything dramatic, but this blew when it happened. I was at Beaver Creek for closing day last year. We got there early to 10" of new snow, and still snowing. Somehow during my first run the shutoff on the bite valve of my camelbak came out, and the tube was tucked down my jacket. All 72oz of water dumped down the front of my torso and down my pants, soaking me to the gnards. Made for a chilly day on the lifts.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

one time i couldnt get my equipment up but luckily i woke up

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Location: The red dot on the map says, an I quote, "You are HERE"

My siblings and I were on the lift, and my brother tries to put on his other binding so he could get down to riding as quick as possible. But like the failure he is, he quits halfway through and just leave it alone. So his snowboard is still hanging by one binding.

The lift has barely reached a quarter of the way up the mountain when his binding decides to fail him and "snap off" his boots, and it's sucked into this spiralling vortex of utter doom which is of course caused by this dumb thing I like to call "gravity". From the moment it hits the ground, the rest of our day was ruined.

It didn't hit anyone, so thankfully we didn't get sued (yay). But the ski patrol didn't fail to notice. We jump off at the half way point and snowboard down to where they are ready to rip our heads off. To cut it short, they wouldn't let us back onto the ski lift until each one of us in our group had leashes on (I bailed at the beginning so I wasn't sucked into the fight). Later, we check out what went wrong with the bindings and find that the screws and the ankle strap were still back on the mountain sitting lazily in the snow. We didn't bother to go look for 'em, not that we would have found it with all snow covering it up.

But now, I'm never going to Donner Ski Ranch. (The fight we had with the ski patrol was completely irrational and they were being Douchebags, and don't start on how they had a right, you weren't there so you wouldn't know why we'd like to find a cliff to throw them off.) Though the whole experience made a good story to tell my buds when I got home.