Are the Flow step in bindings worth the price? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
ReadingPremium

Default Are the Flow step in bindings worth the price?

I've been looking at the step in bindings for a while but the $180 price tag is keeping me from getting them. Sucks, but on a student salary I can't afford the best stuff yet.

Do they give you the same support as a regular binding? Do they have the potential to snap open under stress? Are they worth shelling out the extra cash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

worth shelling out the extra cash for the higher-end models, but not worth the retail MSRP

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The NXT's are worth the money, but you can find them cheaper if you look.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
norcalnick

I'm also looking into Flows for the Fish I'm bout to get....Easy in easy out for them powder days son.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've read that the Flow system is NOT very convenient in deep powder.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
norcalnick

It's very possible that you're right.....It's just a thought, That's why I'm on ebay for a cheap set.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Flow bindings are not necessarily easier to step into, even coming right off the chair - and definitely not easy to get into in powder. With that said, they might be the most comfortable binding I've ever ridden. I was highly dubious about them, but decided to go out on a limb and bought them for my second board (other board has Bent Metal). What I like about Flow is that they provide the lock-down power of strap bindings but without any pressure points.
I've got an old pair of Flows, and have been away from snowboarding for several years. But I see that they've upgraded the design to include ratchets - I tried to find ratchets to mod my bindings, but after getting them set up correctly I gave up on the mod. The new bindings look to be quite slimmed down from the original design, though I hope that doesn't come at the price of comfort - the bases look great but the strap doesn't look as robust. Still, I'd love to try a new pair.
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

from what I've read, the newer Flows come with added ability of strapping in like a normal 2 strap binding, so you CAN, just as easily as the traditional system, strap in in pow
saudade101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudade101 View Post
from what I've read, the newer Flows come with added ability of strapping in like a normal 2 strap binding, so you CAN, just as easily as the traditional system, strap in in pow
this is true on some of this years models. i had a chance to demo these on saturday. pretty nice bindings
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudade101 View Post
Yeeeeuuuupppp! I got this years NXT-FSE. Best pair of bindings I've ever ridden. Might not be saying a whole lot on some people's terms since I have never stepped into a pair of Unions or Rome 390s. I know for a fact the 390s are solid, but not so sure about the current Union hype.

The new Flow system makes complete sense and as I've said many times over... it beats the hell out of me why they didn't do this from the start.

As for the Flow's highback unlocking under stress... not even my Flite 1 did that. Oh, actually it happened once, but that was because I didn't completely lock it in. I also had my current ones get unlocked during a high speed crash. I ended up sliding down an icy slope and my rear highback latch got caught and unlocked. That's understandable though lol. Totally kept me locked in during the two somersaults before the backslide though