User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assym All Mountain Board

Hello again,

Been a week on holiday and the only thing I could think about is what new board to get. I've done tons of research and I definitely want to go for an assymetric all mountain board. And prefering a hybrid rocker true twin.

Why?
Wel reading the reviews it matches pretty good what I'm looking for. Make freeride more comfortable and is great to help you with riding switch. I'm still a beginner at this so this wel give me a nice boost forward.

Type of board?
I'm looking for something playfull on piste. I hardly ride in the park. So something that is not to stiff, not to flex. Riding, carving, some jumps, tricks on piste and hold a good speed if needed.

What I came up with?
To be honest I first wanted to go for a Yes the Greats 158. But since I can't order this anymore in Belgium, and I find the 2016 design (of both 156 and 158) terrible, I was looking on for something else.

Now since I think the greats is "one of the better" ... I went on searching for something similar and read a lot of reviews. I'm now looking at the "Gnu Eco-Impossible EC2". It looks really awesome and the reviews are very positive for the 2016 model.

Size?
Well the problem is that it only comes in 156 & 160. I'm 75kg & 1m74 foot size 43-44 (11). Is 156 to short for me as a hybrid rocker because the 160 seems pretty long. I'm a beginner in making ollies and switching so 160 seems like this is going to make it even harder? I think 158 would be best but that is not available.

Any help is welcome!

Last edited by Raihne; 09-15-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Hi Raihne,

STOKED! You are looking at two awesome boards...but...you are considering the wrong measurement.

Tip to tip length tells you almost nothing about performance. You want to be looking at contact length (AKA running length) which is the best single indicator of how long a board will feel.

For example, the 158 Greats has 118cm of contact length, The Yes Standard 158 has 116cm, The Gnu Eco 160 has 119cm, and the Burton Custom X 158 has 119.

For your specs the Eco 160 is ideal.

Yeeeeoooowwww!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Great than my choice is made

Quick 2nd question ... for ollies, jumps, switches, ... it always seems like the length of a board will make it harder to manouver quickly or make it more difficult to perform certain actions. Also on uneven terrain.

Is that just "in my head" and does not matter at alL?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raihne View Post
Great than my choice is made

Quick 2nd question ... for ollies, jumps, switches, ... it always seems like the length of a board will make it harder to manouver quickly or make it more difficult to perform certain actions. Also on uneven terrain.

Is that just "in my head" and does not matter at alL?
Hi,

The (unimportant) tip to tip length differences we are talking about (158 to 160) will be unnoticeable in terms of swing weight, ollies, jumps etc assuming that the (very important) contact length is the same. We are talking about 1 cm at each tip.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks a lot for all the help!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Gnu zoid is solid

Quote:
Snowboarding, the pure awesomeness of it trumps all possible injuries.

TT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the info ... but since it's a powder board and a tapered snowboard it does not really appeal to me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode