Best Goggles Opinions Needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Goggles Opinions Needed

So this year i decided i want to get Prescription Goggles. From my research u can get a Bracket that will fit pretty much every goggle out there that holds the lens in place.

Now since i will be spending allot of money on getting the prescription lens i want to make sure i have the best goggles, Price is no object either since the lens will cost much more.

Also i will only have one pair of goggles so it will have to be able to interchange lens for daytime and nighttime without issues. Fogging also can not be an issue, so if the goggles fog up slightly from time to time its not worth mentioning. Also something with Good Peripheral vision so i can see clearly out of the corners of my eyes

Also if anyone has any experience with prescription goggles please chime in with your experiences
Soawsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sounds like an expensive way of not wearing contacts?

What your looking at doing will not be cheap, several hundred dollars easily, and then as soon as they scratch or a seal breaks and they fog you need to buy new ones...

Its bad enough having to buy goggles at 100+ bucks a piece..your gonna get gouged if your getting RX lenses...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

problem is different goggles fit different faces. what some may love may not fit your face shape. i agree with arsenic and would go with contacts. that way if you scratch or break your lenses, it won't be as costly to replace.
absoludicrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with these two. Scrip goggles are a bad idea, goggles break, they scratch and sometimes you want to take them off. You would be better off getting contacts.

Different Gogs fit different faces. For some people the Oakley A Frame is the best goggle ever made, for others (like me) they don't fit my face and I fucking hate them, for me Anon goggles generally work. it's something that's really personal
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well i should of stated this before but i can not use contacts. When i first got my RX my doctor tried contacts and i did not qualify for them. I used glasses for several years and went to a different doctor and tried contacts again. Once again i did not qualify and could never focus with contacts in. My father has the same situation and has tried several times.

The break out of price for the Rx goggles is not extremely expensive. The bracket is usually 25$ and the lens is usually 100$ then the price of the goggles.

My buddy has A-frames and they are to small. I do like how oakleys have the fleece layer tho.

i have anon figments and they fit nice but something slightly bigger and better would be nice

how do the spy soldiers and oakley crowbars compare?
Soawsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you how one goggle is going to be versus another given that different faces will have different goggle needs. If you can, go to a store and try every goggle your interested in until you find one that fits right and is the size your looking for.

Also, have you considered OTG goggles? This may save you quite a bit of money and hassle of having to carry a set of glasses with you every time you go snowboarding.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you like the fleece lining of Oakley, check out their Wisdom goggles. They have a good size view, due not fog and because you are putting in new lenses you could always buy some used. They are on gear trade for around $50 or new for as little as $80 elsewhere on the internets. They work great with my face; I have three of them.
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I still think its a bad idea...

Why not just spend the money on some ultralight eyeglass frames and wear those? Once you put your goggles on the straps will hold them on and you will probably not even know they are on. I know its possible, i know a lot of people who ride motorbikes with helmets and or goggles on that wear glasses under them...

Also it doesnt sound like you have a set price on what this will actually cost you...i think thats an important factor...100 bucks a lens isnt too bad...but it sounds very optimistic for anything except maybe a clear lens. Then your paying 100 dollars for a lense that costs 20 dollars otherwise...

You should discuss your options and pricing with a eye doctor...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Not thinkin this is a good idea. As stated above, what if yo uwant to take your goggles off because they got wet or any other reason... Then you can't see. There are goggles out there that are made to fit with glasses on. Have you tried that option yet? I see this being an expensive road you're walking down. I bust at least one pair of goggles a season due to random things liek getting crushed in my bag or eatin crap on the hill.
cstrumol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
ryan188

i have the smith I/O goggles, and i love em!