Another new board and boots suggestion thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
sheldon

Question Another new board and boots suggestion thread

This is a very important question for me so i'll ask it first. I am flying over from australia to Canada and have a 6 hour stop over at LAX and would love to buy this board in america because it'll be a lot cheaper for me. So i was wondering if there was a snowboard shop in or near LAX? Thanks

current setup:
2001 Joyride 158cm (not sure about model name, its blue with a robot on it)
Burton Mission bindings
Northwave legends boots

Height: 6'
Weight: ~167 (75-76kg)
boot size: current boot is 9 but i'll probably move up to a 9.5 for the next boot.
location of riding: going to whistler for 3 months, working there. but after that it'll be back to riding in australia mainly at mt hotham and mt buller and plan to keep this board for a number of years hopefully, and australia snow is a lot different from canadian.
Style: All mountain freestyle.

i currently have a 158 and am looking for something smaller, 158 feels quite large for spinning and that kind of stuff, i also want something that i can do some nice butters on, they're always fun. Also my mates and i are going to be filming a video over there so i want to get a board thats going to make me look better than i am. i would also like to get a true twin or at least an almost twin, to help improve my switch riding. If i was going to get the board just for australia i would be looking pretty small but i have never snowboarded overseas. i'll need a board thats going to be able to handle powder, groomed runs, jumps and jibs, i think something around the 156 range would suit me well but it'll be interesting to see what you guys think.

Im lookin at:

BOARDS
GNU Riders Choice MTX 154.5/157.5
Lib Tech TRS MTX 154/157
NItro Eero 155/157
Burton Custom 156
Atomic Alibi 156
K2 Darkstar 155/157
K2 Believer 157
Santa Cruz Jon Kooley 154/157
Rome, because it seems to have a great reputation around here.

BOOTS
Not too sure and i know you guys cant tell me which ones to get but i just looking to know which ones are tough, quality and value for money, and which ones aren't. Also i'm looking to hopefully get some boots with boas because of many reasons, so which boa boots are good and what do u guys think of the focus boa system?

BINDINGS
I love my missions so i'll be keeping them for awhile

let me know what you guys think or if there is something better.

thanx
Sheldon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
sheldon

bump, anyone?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

bump away mate, but sadly, there's nothing near LAX!

truth is Inglewood gangstaz aren't really down wit the sideways slide!

not much of a snowboard town LA.... i'm affraid; the surfers have cornered the market out there!
(them and the drive by shooters )
Old 11-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
sheldon

hmm well looks like that idea isnt going to work unfortunately, thanks for the help anyway guys.

so what do you think about my other ideas?

and what are good shops to buy from in vancouver?

cheers guys
Old 11-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
B-166-er

with the way the exchange rate is right now, youd probably be better off buying in canada anyway
Old 11-20-2007, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
sheldon

anyway besides how i am suppose to waste 6 hours at LAX.

What do u guys think about all my other questions???
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Traynor2501

How much do you want to spend?

The K2 Darkstar looks like a nice board....
SnoWolf loves his Alibi boards not sure aboot the park though
Yes rome is a freaking sweet brand...
I also enjoy my Ride prophet which is a nice Freestyle in general board
I would also recommend Arbor, and Neversummer I have a Heritage and it is prolly the best I've ever ridden and it is great for hitting anything... mines just a little too big for the park or at least how I like it for Park

I take my 159 Prophet into the park twice a year when Im drunk and dumb enough to do so.

156-157 would be ideal for a good freestyle board.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
sheldon

i would of thought a little shorter would of been more ideal for freestyle. the board im probably looking the closest at is the gnu riders choice, because from seeing the reviews of magne traction its all good stuff and wouldn't getting a board with it, but 154.5 or 157.5? also im still very free to hear what else everyone has to say. i leave for canada in 2 dayssss! so i need quick help thanks guys!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

from my experience of consuming in couver....i'd say go stateside.

the place is stoopid pricey..... you could go to the stores around carnabie and 12 th (i fink it was?) and let your wallet get raped pretensiously...

or take the sky train to the mall or any of those subterranean type gaffs in downtown..... sportchek ain't bad, albeit a bit basic..... (that's where to go for brucey bargains, if amerikee comes up with nowt!)

as for what to do in LAX.... well do what everyone does... hang by the VIP lounges and star watch.... or you could get a bus to the marina del ray (which is quite nice... and good for a dose of pelican harassment!)
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ill tell you right now, you wont be dissapointed in rome. the only boards i would ever think of ever buying anymore are anything mervin makes(lib tech, gnu) rome, and nitro.

that being said, magne traction is supposed to be tits. if your looking for a smaller board, get a 154 agent. i had a 155 last year, and got a 152 for this season, and its the best board ive ever ridden.

for nitro, id reccomend a t1. awesome board, and you can get a 156. its not much smaller, but the t1's ride smaller than they actually are
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote