Rome Targa broken highback? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
b_to_the_c

Default Rome Targa broken highback?

I haven't been on the forums here in a long while, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced something like this with a pair of Targas. Let me start by saying that aside from these mishaps, I love the performance of my Targas over any other binding I've ever ridden and can't imagine riding another binding right now. That being said, within the first half dozen rides on my Targas, first I broke a toe ladder by accidentally stepping on it coming off the lift on a cold day, which was easily solved that day at the nearest board shop. Then, the very next time out, I got back down to the lift after my second run or so, went to fold down my highback to get on the lift, and it was snapped in half. That pretty much ruined my day and I was pissed. I'm a pretty decent rider, but I don't punish the crap out of my bindings like a lot of folks might with a lot of jumps, etc. I mostly freeride in the steeps. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with a pair of Romes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

The only time I have seen a high back snap like that is when getting on the lift on a low clearance chair without folding them down. It's happened to me before and now I just remember to tuck my highback down in line. Could that have been what happened? or did it break while riding? You would feel it if it broke while riding for sure but maybe not if it was broke the whole time on the way up.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
RichCardies

Yeah im on last seasons targas and have had plenty of issues with them. Like you say performance wise they are awesome but very dissapointed with the quality. Had lots of issues but what has killed them for me now is that the forward lean adjuster on the back of the highback slips down oer the heel hoop eliminating any lean you had set, which is really minimal on romes as it is.

I'm going back to burton bingings. Nothin ruins your day more then equipment failure.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I also ride Targas but I haven't had any major issues with them. The only thing I suggest is you contact Rome and see what they can do for you. If they're still under warranty, I'm pretty sure Rome will replace the highback.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Contact Rome, they have the best service!
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCardies View Post
I'm going back to burton bingings. Nothin ruins your day more then equipment failure.
Funny thing is, I had 0 problems with my 390's last season, but had countless problem with Cartels that I had for a few years.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd also have to say that I hear far less horror stories about Rome products than Burton.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What Snowolf said, you are likely in the wrong holes for your highback rotation. The instructions tell you specifically which holes to use to avoid the issue. I have both 390's and Targa's, and they are quality bindings. On my 4th season with the 390's and third with the Targas.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
b_to_the_c

I should also have added that Rome customer service took very good care of me and I had replacement parts in just a few days. Since this incident, and I still have no idea what caused it, I haven't had any issues at all. The only thing I can come up with is that sometimes when I get to the bottom, I stomp my board a couple times to get some of the sticky excess snow off of it before hopping on the lift. Maybe that's what did it. I'm way more careful about that sort of thing now, and since this incident I've had no problems. I don't bother with highback rotation, as I have never noticed an increase or decrease in performance either way so I don't think that was the problem, and I'm positive the highbacks are otherwise positioned properly. Regardless, after this, I would still at least consider another pair of Targas based on performance alone. Next time, though, I may lean a bit more toward a Ride CAD or SPi, or maybe even Raiden Machines.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
RichCardies

I definately have the holes set up correctly, your right, they are very specific in the instructions on where you should have them set.