Clothing help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Clothing help

'Ello all. So I'm looking to get some new clothes this year for boarding since I just moved to Colorado and the conditions are a little more different than in Arizona I'm looking for new pants in particular because my old ones are too small and have broken zippers. What are some good brands/types of pants that work well? Also what does everyone layer with usually? For both good and bad days on the mountain?

ak
The[ak] is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Augie09

i don't live in CO, but it'll be hard for me to buy anything besides 686 pants again.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would use the search function provided by this forum. Use words like outerwear, jackets, pants, layering. I promise you'll find what you need.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

i pick up some base layers from the local sports store. it's like 10 bucks for the single layer and ~20 for the double layer. it usually keeps me more than warm. i make sure they also wick away sweat/moisture.
absoludicrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll use those keywords for sure. I was searching earlier but I didn't use those exact ones. Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I like DC, Volcom and sometimes Foursquare....686 as mentioned makes quality stuff. Get at least a 10k to stay dry in most conditions here. For layering I usually wear: sweat wicking base and just a shell pant. If it's really cold I will add a regular style long john on top. Never have issues with my legs getting cold! My problem is my sweaty ass head in a helmet and getting a brain freeze on the way up on a cold lift. Does that happen to anyone else?!?!?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Toofer - Special Blend Outerwear and Softgoods | First Chair Last Call

Bought these pants last year. Mucho pockets, good fit, ventilation, snow fabric blocker thing, and strings in your pockets attached inside your pants to the bottom of the leg so so can hike them up a bit and not drag through a muddy parking lot.

Special Blend Principle Group. Check it
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLuiD View Post
I like DC, Volcom and sometimes Foursquare....686 as mentioned makes quality stuff. Get at least a 10k to stay dry in most conditions here. For layering I usually wear: sweat wicking base and just a shell pant. If it's really cold I will add a regular style long john on top. Never have issues with my legs getting cold! My problem is my sweaty ass head in a helmet and getting a brain freeze on the way up on a cold lift. Does that happen to anyone else?!?!?
Yes! This does happen to me haha, I don't do a lot of park so I don't usually have a helmet on but I've gotten some major brain freezes waiting on the lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Toofer - Special Blend Outerwear and Softgoods | First Chair Last Call

Bought these pants last year. Mucho pockets, good fit, ventilation, snow fabric blocker thing, and strings in your pockets attached inside your pants to the bottom of the leg so so can hike them up a bit and not drag through a muddy parking lot.

Special Blend Principle Group. Check it
Those are pretty sick, I like the green ones just cause bright colors and snowboarding seem to gel together
Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you are looking for killer base layer check out airblaster's ninja suit. I picked one up last year and pretty much never wanted to take it off. This year they introduced one with merino wool which is great. Highly recommend them.

As far as outerwear goes... I have Ride outerwear, 686, Bonfire and Burton. All of them are very nice, even Burton (only use their outerwear). You definitely get what you pay for and I don't buy anything unless it is at least 15k waterproof. Look for higher waterproof ratings as that is key.

My typical riding outfit for a 30 degree day is ninja suit base layer, snowboard socks, snowboard pants (I only wear shell pants and long underwear and my legs stay warm), zip-up sweatshirt, snowboard jacket (most of my jackets have minimal insulation or none at all), gloves and beanie. Sometimes when it is SUPER cold, such as 0 or below, I will wear my 686 pants that have a zip in liner and I will also toss on another long underwear shirt that I have from Cabela's.
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 10 or 15k rule is nice and appropriate for most areas. For Colorado/Utah/Wyoming though, it's not necessary at all. You can get away with 5k pants and jackets with ease. The snow is super dry here. The pair of pants I used two seasons ago were 5k's with no issue. If you are planning a trip to the PNW or Cali, then you'll want to up the waterproofing for sure. As a rule of thumb I try to buy 10k and above, but if it's a good cheap price, a 5k jacket or pants won't scare me off.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote