Change of plans - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
dasenergi

Default Change of plans

I just found out that a friend works at Sanction Snowboards and that he's willing to hook me up with a good deal. It's a bit further then my local shops, but still closer (and more convenient) then going to the city. Only thing is, I'm looking at completely different brands now.
Here's what I've narrowed down (In order of preference):

1) CAPiTA Saturnia / Rome Lo-Fi 1985
2) Ride Compact / Ride Canvas
3) Rome Detail
4) CAPiTA Space Metal Fantasy / Signal Vita
5) Stepchild Latchkey Ripper

The only thing that concerns me with the Rome & Ride boards is that after looking at the specs I'd need to ride a 147, which is quite a bit larger then I was planning to go. I was looking to ride something between 139 and 143 (preferably a 140)

My main question is what is the difference between an entry-level park board and an aggressive park board? Is it correct to assume that the entry level park board would qualify as a free-ride board with enough flex to feel comfortable in the park. If so, what does that leave for the aggressive park board? I guess my confusion lies in the thought that it has to be buttery enough to jib, but stiff enough to hit kickers. Maybe its just me, but it seems like the two are almost interchangeable.
Which is softer/stiffer, more stable/less stable?

Last edited by dasenergi; 10-14-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

entry-levels are soft, use cheap materials, and have forgiving sidecuts

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I don't think you'll get any high-quality, first-hand reviews of many of those decks.

I think all of the boards you listed are quality boards, so in the end it all just boils down to preference. Do you prefer a sintered or extruded base? Can you spend $500 plus dollars on a board, or would you prefer to spend less? Do you want to try a rocker or Lowrize board or do you want to stick with traditional camber? Do you want a dedicated jib board, or do you need something that can handle the whole mountain?
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
dasenergi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think you'll get any high-quality, first-hand reviews of many of those decks.

I think all of the boards you listed are quality boards, so in the end it all just boils down to preference. Do you prefer a sintered or extruded base? Can you spend $500 plus dollars on a board, or would you prefer to spend less? Do you want to try a rocker or Lowrize board or do you want to stick with traditional camber? Do you want a dedicated jib board, or do you need something that can handle the whole mountain?
I've always ridden a board with a traditional camber, but the rocker technology is interesting. From what I've gathered it provides a smoother more balanced ride, something I definitely wouldn't be opposed to. As for the base, I figure in the case of wanting to focus on park riding this year an extruded base would probably be the way to go. In terms of all mountain vs park, I'd say it's a 35% vs 65% scenario. Money wise, I can spend over 500 but I don't necessarily want to. I'm willing to spend around 800 for my boarding gear this year so whatever I dont spend on the board I'll allocate to new boots (or bindings).

Again, my main concern is the sizing of Rome & Ride boards, any insight on that?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i like your number 1s. ive ridden both of the "male" versions. i own the capita but that is because i wanted a true park. if i wanted an all mt deck i would of got the rome agent, or prob a capita indoor survival even more then the agent. both are really great decks.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasenergi View Post
I've always ridden a board with a traditional camber, but the rocker technology is interesting. From what I've gathered it provides a smoother more balanced ride, something I definitely wouldn't be opposed to. As for the base, I figure in the case of wanting to focus on park riding this year an extruded base would probably be the way to go. In terms of all mountain vs park, I'd say it's a 35% vs 65% scenario. Money wise, I can spend over 500 but I don't necessarily want to. I'm willing to spend around 800 for my boarding gear this year so whatever I dont spend on the board I'll allocate to new boots (or bindings).

Again, my main concern is the sizing of Rome & Ride boards, any insight on that?
I wouldn't worry too much about Ride's and Rome's weight specs, especially if you're looking for a park board. You'll be able to ride those boards just fine, as the weight ranges on their websites are just guidelines/recommendations weight ranges.

Based on your riding, I would rule out the Detail - it sounds too soft to perform well all-mountain.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
dasenergi

Yeah thats kind of what I was thinking too
Thanks!