Buying a Waxing Iron... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying a Waxing Iron...

Well, the new season's starting up soon now, and I'd like to start waxing my own board(s). I know that most of the irons made for this purpose are pretty similar, but is there any specific one I should take a look at, and where would I be best off purchasing one? Are the generic ski/board wax irons on ebay fine?

Thanks,
Chris
cwncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've never had a specific waxing iron. I just grabbed a $10 clothes iron from Wal-Mart. Get it hot enough to melt the wax, but not hot enough to get the wax smoking. If I had nine or ten boards, maybe I'd actually buy a dedicated waxing iron, but having only two boards, I just don't see the need.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

you'll find that lots of the waxing irons out there are the same just have a different brand name, the one i have is a KUU but its identical to the dakine ones and probably ten other brands, as long as it has a temp control you should be fine

edit: this is what mine looks like except its all red, you'll find that a lot that you find are this one just re-branded, and if it looks like this you can count on it being good.

Last edited by Lyndo; 10-14-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Lyndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup my dakine looks just like that ...

Dropped it last year and theres something rattling inside, but it still works like a charm!
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Swix one looks the same too!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

IMO, don't spend the money. Go to your local Walmart and pick up a $6 iron. It works the same, just set the temp appropriately. Has worked great for me for the past few years.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Green Snow

X3 for the cloths iron, it get's the job done. I had to laugh at my buddy for buying a $40 iron, after you scrape/buff it, you will never know what freakin iron you used .
Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R View Post
IMO, don't spend the money. Go to your local Walmart and pick up a $6 iron. It works the same, just set the temp appropriately. Has worked great for me for the past few years.
So what temp do the irons need to be at? Iknow the wax does not need to smoke but is there a magic number?

**the iron needs not to have holes on the base right?
CapitaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Every wax is different. Colder weather waxes are harder and need more temp to melt. Warmer the opposite. Clothing irons work fine but a waxing iron will give you temp specific setting that you can match to your wax. I ride anyhwere from mountain creek nj up to tremblant canada and I use different waxes for different temps. If you ride at the same mountain all the time you can just get the same wax and a clothes iron to do the job. Waxing irons also have curved sole plates so that excess wax is channeled aroudn and spreads more easily. I got one from eBay for $15 (one ball jay?) Have had it for 3 seasons and countless waxings.
cstrumol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Different irons will have different temp settings, just like different microwaves will heat food faster/slower depending on their power ratings. You'll have to do a little testing to figure out your best temp setting. I usually set mine between the wool and cotton setting. It melts the wax without causing it to smoke.

Whether the iron has holes or not, I've never had an issue. In terms of spreading the wax, again, I've never had an issue with a flat based iron.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote