Buying a Waxing Iron... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying a Waxing Iron...

Well, the new season's starting up soon now, and I'd like to start waxing my own board(s). I know that most of the irons made for this purpose are pretty similar, but is there any specific one I should take a look at, and where would I be best off purchasing one? Are the generic ski/board wax irons on ebay okay, or should I stay away?

Thanks,
Chris
cwncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use a Toko ski iron. Most of the ski brands use the same model, but change the color and the printed logo. As long as you can adjust the precise temperature, and if it's flat with no holes, you're good. Of course, a generic clothes iron will do the job, but you can't adjust the temp as well, which makes it tedious for waxing, since you usually want a precise temperature depending on which wax you want to use! Colder waxes= higher temp, Warmer waxes= lower temp.

If you have any questions regarding waxing, don't hesitate to ask!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hmmm...seems to be the same thread over here:

Wax Iron
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecies View Post
Of course, a generic clothes iron will do the job, but you can't adjust the temp as well,

I had a Swix iron for years, but it got lost in a move. I bought a $10 Walmart iron and haven't noticed any big difference in temp control. Certainly nothing to justify the extra $$. The only thing I did notice was how awkward it can be occasionally with the larger surface area to manipulate, particularly if there's a little cupping under the binding, for example.

Scrapers, on the other hand, are worth spending a couple of extra $$ on to get ones that hold an edge for a decent period of time. I hate having to re-sharpen them all the time
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I had a Swix iron for years, but it got lost in a move. I bought a $10 Walmart iron and haven't noticed any big difference in temp control. Certainly nothing to justify the extra $$. The only thing I did notice was how awkward it can be occasionally with the larger surface area to manipulate, particularly if there's a little cupping under the binding, for example.

Scrapers, on the other hand, are worth spending a couple of extra $$ on to get ones that hold an edge for a decent period of time. I hate having to re-sharpen them all the time
Learning to use metal scrapers was the best thing i ever did ;d

You have to take your time a bit more than with plastic ones and pay even more attention to what your doing so you dont rock up on the edge and gouge your board, but it just pulls the wax off SOOO much faster its incredible. I get big sheets of wax off instead of all the crumbly crap i get with plastic scrapers...Snowolf has a video on youtube showing one...its basically just a flat metal putty knife you'd use in construction

It was like 8 bucks at Lowes and will never dull realistically...my plastic scraper got dull so fast it was crap...once its dull you may as well start scraping the wax off with your fingernails it will get done faster...

Last edited by arsenic0; 10-15-2009 at 01:24 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote