my setup is killing my calves! help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
superdupervroom

Smile my setup is killing my calves! help!

Something feels wrong with my setup; it feels like either my entire boot is coming off the binding or the boot itself is loose. The straps barely went around the boot, even after adjusting them all the way so Id get the most length out of them. The boots for the most part seem comfortable, but when I rise on my toes, it feels like my heel rises up. How can I adjust this, or at least determine whether its a boot problem or a binding problem? I am wearing some sz 7.5 burtons, using small burton LTD doom bindings.

thanks in advanced, any suggestion will help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdupervroom View Post
Something feels wrong with my setup; it feels like either my entire boot is coming off the binding or the boot itself is loose. The straps barely went around the boot, even after adjusting them all the way so Id get the most length out of them. The boots for the most part seem comfortable, but when I rise on my toes, it feels like my heel rises up. How can I adjust this, or at least determine whether its a boot problem or a binding problem? I am wearing some sz 7.5 burtons, using small burton LTD doom bindings.

thanks in advanced, any suggestion will help

the heel of your boot is rising up or your heel is moving inside of your boot?
sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
superdupervroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
the heel of your boot is rising up or your heel is moving inside of your boot?
feels like a little bit of both. boots feel fine until im up on tippy-toes, then it kind of feels like the heels rises up a bit. in addition to this, when im trying to lean forward on the slope, it feels like the heels of the boot come a little bit off the binding. does that barely-fitting-strap have anything to do with it?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well first you dont need to worry if your feet only move when standing on your tippy toes as thats way more than you will usually ever flex ...just rock your feet forward and back from heel to toe and see if your heel ever moves in the boot. Set it up indoors and have someone watch your foot to see if its moving in the binding at all, there's no way we can know...it could be the strap and that you need to get a larger binding.

Also maybe try moving the ankle strap up or down the binding. Usually they ship it with the strap in the center, having it up high or lower may make it fit better around your foot since your at the max size before medium bindings.

Last edited by arsenic0; 10-15-2009 at 03:25 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
superdupervroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Well first you dont need to worry if your feet only move when standing on your tippy toes as thats way more than you will usually ever flex ...just rock your feet forward and back from heel to toe and see if your heel ever moves in the boot. Set it up indoors and have someone watch your foot to see if its moving in the binding at all, there's no way we can know...it could be the strap and that you need to get a larger binding.

Also maybe try moving the ankle strap up or down the binding. Usually they ship it with the strap in the center, having it up high or lower may make it fit better around your foot since your at the max size before medium bindings.
i've moved the strap around and it still barely fitted. will buying a longer strap fix the problem, or will i have to buy new bindings?

thanks!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdupervroom View Post
feels like a little bit of both. boots feel fine until im up on tippy-toes, then it kind of feels like the heels rises up a bit. in addition to this, when im trying to lean forward on the slope, it feels like the heels of the boot come a little bit off the binding. does that barely-fitting-strap have anything to do with it?
idk, it might also be in part your riding technique...ru a relatively new rider? ..."until im up on tippy-toes"...seems to indicate you are rising up on your toes to engage toeside which will burn your calves...and is often a newbie thing to do. Instead, bending your knees more...thus using bigger joints and muscles of the knee and leg instead of the foot and ankle...more efficient/less tiring. However you need to make sure the cuff of your boot is snug...try different lacing/boas/inner laces are tight, the ankle strap of the binding is properly placed, i.e., more toward the higher side of your ankle instead of being lower/over your instep,...and that your ankle/heel is not lifting up in the boot...maybe use heel anchors or j-bars/"C's" or butterfly pads to lock your heel down.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

watch snowolf's learning to ride videos, see if you're doing it right
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote