2 boards or a compromise? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 boards or a compromise?

hey. im a 19 year old snowboarder from australia and am coming over to colorado in january to board for 6 weeks and need some advice on board selection. im 5 ft 6" tall and weigh 143 pounds. over here i am a bit of a park rat but that is mainly because we dont have much good snow to ride. my main question is if im going to want to ride a fare bit of park over there but still be able to go out and enjoy powder days can i get away with 1 board? i am really keen on getting a reverse camber board as ive stood on a couple over here and really like how fun they feel however am a little concerned on how it will hold up off kickers as i enjoy riding alot of rails aswell as jumps.

i have been thinking of getting a never summer evo r maybe a 151 as everyone raves about this board on this site and from what i hear it should handle kickers alright.

however im worried that it will really hold me back on powder days and i wont be able to make the most of it. so then i have looked at the slr but then i have thought that it might really hold back on my progression in the park. now im considering buying 2 boards, a park board and a powder board but im not sure if its worth spending all that cash. so i suppose my final question is how much will i be held back in the pow in buying a park board or how much will i be held back in the park if i bought a more all-round board.
thanks alot and any feedback, hints, criticism is welcome.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Park boards are softer, all mountain boards are stiffer. In the park you want your edges to be dull so you won't faceplant. On the pow....I'm not sure...

All in all K2 Parkstar should handle all that, check out the Youtube reviews.
Ruskiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My advice, get the 151 Evo R if that's the board you want. It should do OK on powder days. Try it out on the first powder day you get. If you're not happy, start dredging Craigslist. A great thing about CO is that CL is always full of snowboarding gear. I guarantee you could find a decent powder board for a good price. Before you leave, sell it for the best you can get. You could probably get pretty close to breaking even on it.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What board do you have right now, if it is small go bigger then a 151 with your next? Resorts also have demo boards, call ahead or get their early on a powder day and you should be able to ride a nice board for $30 or so. Buying a new powder boards is always tempting the snow gods to spite you.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you got a rockered board you should be fine. Have a softer board is actually just fine for powder riding. Like mentioned before, you can probably find a good deal on a powder board in Colorado. I doubt you'll get spited by the snow gods. If it doesn't snow here for 6 weeks during the season, that'll be first and it'll be a really shitty season...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say a Parkstar 152, DH2 153, Rook 152, Indoor FK 152...

A mid stiffness anti-camber park board will work just fine for you in both park and pow.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Don't take a shorty park noodle to CO. Or if you do, make sure you have something else to ride too. Even if there isn't powder you'll be riding outside of the park a whole lot. There's no sense in coming half way around the world to CO to spend your time in the park.
Get a board a bit longer than you play on in the park - maybe a longer reverse camber board that's still soft. That way you'll be able to really ride the mountain (and park and powder) and still pull out your bag of tricks. If you're good enough to do all sorts of tricks on a short board you should be able to up it by 6cm and still do those same tricks with the added advantage of accessing natural terrain.
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, if you going to ride park more than 60% of the time, go with the EVO. But, any less the SL should do. I mean if I am reading correctly you already have a park board. So going with the SL isnt a bad idea. The evo should do fine on powder because of the RC tech. Either way you should be happy. I just picked up the SL yesterday and I love it, even tho I havent ride it yet.
gotamahuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for all the input. at the moment i am riding an 06 or 07 forum youngblood 152. its my first board which i learnt to progress my riding in and out of the park and is a lot stiffer than the new youngbloods. and i completely understand your point about travelling to the other side of the world just to ride park. i do plan on riding out of the park but would probably still spend around 50-60% of my day in the park unless the snow was really good. im farely short and dont weigh alot so im not too keen about adding 6cm to have an all round board.
craigslist could be a good option to find a pow board. hadnt really thought about that. i also looked at the k2 parkstar which could still be an option. i suppose the main reason im asking all these questions is because ive never ridden actual powder over here in aus, well nothing like you have over there in the states so i dont know what to expect.
cheers and any other ideas/comments would be very helpful
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote