Begginer at snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Begginer at snowboard

Hi to all in the form from Greece. I'm a begginer at snowboard and I'm thinking to buy a new or used equipment. I did snowboard 5 times last year and I really loved it. Now, because I don't know so much about the equipment I really would appreciate if i could have your help! First of all I am 5,4 ft (165cm) 150lbs (65kg), and newby and and I do snowboard only in the mountain. So,I have some questions which are:
1)What length of board must I buy ( I have seen in some sites that the length of board fits to me is 148-152cm. Is this right? Is there any site which calculate the lenghth according to height and weight?).
2) What kind of board do you suggest for a tutorial for snowboard only on a mountain?
3) Can you suggest to me some boards with bindings so as to see? Is there sales from any web site this period?
I have a budget about 200-280$

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Tziminhio; 10-05-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
1) Weight is important to chose your snowboard, but you know your snowboard boot size is also very important. Can you tell us what is it? So far I think board around 150 should be good.

2) how many days do you plan to ride per season? Any slight idea what kind of terrain you prefer to ride? Do you want to do just mellow resort riding? some tricks in the park? or do you like to ride fresh snow somewhere in the trees?

There are different snowboard profiles and they have different pros and cons. Many brands like to make a "beginner board" in reverse camber profile. It's like you riding a board shaped like a banana. That way when you transition between turns it's more forgiving. I learned on that kind of board, but to be honest after I tried camber board (banana upside down) I wish I learned on that one instead.

3) From what I have seen ebay has best deals when it comes to combo but that is US market, I am not sure same can be told about Greece. I think Blue tomato is a popular European website but it all looks quite expensive to me.

You may find a deal for 280$ but it's gonna be hard. I recommend to check out used gear, if you really into snowboarding once you get good and understand what kind of riding you like to do you can then buy a good board for your type of riding.

And again. Did you buy boots yet? That's the most important equipment when it comes to snowboarding. Because if your feet are in pain it's not that fun to go down the hill. And good fitting boots might cost you more than just 280$

Last edited by Extazy; 10-05-2015 at 01:05 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply!
1) I haven't bought boots yet! I know that is important. I think that my number is 40-41 (EU). Can you suggest to me a good brand or even a good specific model of boots so as to search in the web until 120$?
2) Unfortunatelly it's difficult to ride many times per season here in Greece. I believe 8-10 times approximately. The type of ride as I told you is on mountain on a normal terrain , not off road and not with so much snow. I ride in a normal terrain (I don't know how this kind of ride is said, "free style " maybe?).
So what kind of board do you suggest for a begginer in a normal terrain? Unfortunatelly, the tracks here are not the best.
Thanks again!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tziminhio View Post
Thanks for your reply!
1) I haven't bought boots yet! I know that is important. I think that my number is 40-41 (EU). Can you suggest to me a good brand or even a good specific model of boots so as to search in the web until 120$?
2) Unfortunatelly it's difficult to ride many times per season here in Greece. I believe 8-10 times approximately. The type of ride as I told you is on mountain on a normal terrain , not off road and not with so much snow. I ride in a normal terrain (I don't know how this kind of ride is said, "free style " maybe?).
So what kind of board do you suggest for a begginer in a normal terrain? Unfortunatelly, the tracks here are not the best.
Thanks again!
1) Boot sizing is very different in snowboarding. Well I should say more detail, because compared to any other sport (i think) your feet deal with a lot more forces and pressure and therefore even a small mistake in sizing can come out as a big discomfort on the hill.

There isn't really a good brand. They all good but will they all fit? Many of my friends ride Burton. I tried 4 different models to realize that Burton boots just aren't made for my feet.

There is an expert on this forum and he is super cool so I am sure he will help you out with sizing your boots. Here is a link to his profile.

I also recommend to read these threads.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boots/157737-snowboard-boot-size-web-tool-mondo.html"]

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boo...tight-pls.html

And it's important if you have ski/snowboard shop near by. You have to try on boots and walk in them for at least 10 minutes to feel them out. And getting boots shipped back and forth through online store will cost you time and money.

2) Seems like you planning to do free riding.

With free riding you can go with a board a little bit bigger like 152. I cant talk about profiles right now because it's all personal preference and some people might disagree with me.

It's better if you try to find something online in your price and size range and post it here. Then we can help you out with what to choose.

Last edited by Extazy; 10-05-2015 at 02:22 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok my friend. Thank you so much for your help. I think that the boos I put last year was 41 but I'm not sure. I am reading the articles and if I'll be back with more questions! :P
Thanks again for all your help!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
My $0.02. Don't buy used boots. A used board and binding might be ok but not boots, just don't get a used board that is too beat up. If you are worried just buy new everything.

Try not to be too worried about price. I know easy to say but the only time I have been disappointed in snowboard gear is when I have cheaped out. Get the best gear you can afford and it will last you a long time.

Try to get a board/binding that has a softer flex. This will be much more forgiving for a beginner. Softer boards are usually cheaper too.

You may not want to get a strictly "beginner" board as you may grow out of it quickly. Get a board that is more intermediate but soft and you shouldn't grow out of it too fast.

Boots are number 1. Don't be in a rush. Try on tons of pairs and different brands to find the right fit. It should be very snug, don't get too big. Your heel should not lift. This is extremely important!

As far as recommendation, I'm a Burton guy so that's what lean to. If I was a beginner, here's what I would get:

Board

Burton Clash
Burton Blunt
Burton Nug
Burton Process

The Nug and Blunt are more park boards but they are all pretty soft and would be good on groomers. They are all on the cheaper side too.

Bindings

Burton Mission

These are mid-stiff but I think they would be great to learn on. Burton Customs are their beginner binding but they are very soft and I think you would out-grow them quickly. Again the missions are lower priced.

Boots

Burton Moto
Burton Ruler

These are both good boots for a beginner. The Motos are very soft but you are a smaller guy so that might be what you need. Rulers are a good all around boot with mid-flex. Rulers would be better on groomers as you improve. But remember fit is the most important.

Good luck
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasabiCanuck View Post
My $0.02. Don't buy used boots. A used board and binding might be ok but not boots, just don't get a used board that is too beat up. If you are worried just buy new everything.

Try not to be too worried about price. I know easy to say but the only time I have been disappointed in snowboard gear is when I have cheaped out. Get the best gear you can afford and it will last you a long time.

Try to get a board/binding that has a softer flex. This will be much more forgiving for a beginner. Softer boards are usually cheaper too.

You may not want to get a strictly "beginner" board as you may grow out of it quickly. Get a board that is more intermediate but soft and you shouldn't grow out of it too fast.

Boots are number 1. Don't be in a rush. Try on tons of pairs and different brands to find the right fit. It should be very snug, don't get too big. Your heel should not lift. This is extremely important!

As far as recommendation, I'm a Burton guy so that's what lean to. If I was a beginner, here's what I would get:

Board

Burton Clash
Burton Blunt
Burton Nug
Burton Process

The Nug and Blunt are more park boards but they are all pretty soft and would be good on groomers. They are all on the cheaper side too.

Bindings

Burton Mission

These are mid-stiff but I think they would be great to learn on. Burton Customs are their beginner binding but they are very soft and I think you would out-grow them quickly. Again the missions are lower priced.

Boots

Burton Moto
Burton Ruler

These are both good boots for a beginner. The Motos are very soft but you are a smaller guy so that might be what you need. Rulers are a good all around boot with mid-flex. Rulers would be better on groomers as you improve. But remember fit is the most important.

Good luck
Thanks, you are so specific. I'll find out and if it's necessary I'll disturb you for once again. Of course I'll agree with you, I am daunted by a used gear but I have a low budget!
Thanks again!

Last edited by Tziminhio; 10-06-2015 at 02:06 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Guys I just found an offer for a used pop Rocker board Atomic Hatchet 149 for 80€.This is bought in 2013. Do you have any ideas for this board. Is it good for my height?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tziminhio View Post
Guys I just found an offer for a used pop Rocker board Atomic Hatchet 149 for 80.This is bought in 2013. Do you have any ideas for this board. Is it good for my height?
Dude...your height has nothing to do with it....its your weight. So you are 150 pounds...when looking at a board...they list recommended weight range...ideally your 150# will be in the middle of that weight range.

But boots first...forget about the board for now. Get the best fitting boots, no heel lift, no pressure points fitting boots...irregardless of price. Try on at least 20-30 pairs of different boots before you buy. Also realize that boot will pack out and loosen up...so taking that in to account. You will likely have to get some new foot beds and do some mods or see a good boot fitter. Infact before you buy go to a shop that has a boot fitter. Good fitting boots are priceless...spare no expense.

study some of this info
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boo...s-faq-etc.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Dude...your height has nothing to do with it....its your weight. So you are 150 pounds...when looking at a board...they list recommended weight range...ideally your 150# will be in the middle of that weight range.

But boots first...forget about the board for now. Get the best fitting boots, no heel lift, no pressure points fitting boots...irregardless of price. Try on at least 20-30 pairs of different boots before you buy. Also realize that boot will pack out and loosen up...so taking that in to account. You will likely have to get some new foot beds and do some mods or see a good boot fitter. Infact before you buy go to a shop that has a boot fitter. Good fitting boots are priceless...spare no expense.

study some of this info
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boo...s-faq-etc.html
Ok my friend!Thanks!I' ll see!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode