Getting the best board and saving money - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
TigerWolf

Default Supermodel

Hey,

Im traveling to Canada (Whistler) on a Working Holiday and want to get a snowboard. I wanted some advice on the best way to do things.

I was planning on buying a snowboard from like SierraSnowboard in the US and have it sent to a friend but im not sure what to buy. Ive have 2 Australian season in the snow (1 week each). The last board I rode (hire) was a burton bullet, which was good.

Im going to need a wide board, as I have size 12 feet. The board I hired was 164 so that should do. Id like an all mountain board too.

The other option is to wait till im in Canada and to buy the board when im at Whistler, and hire for a while before deciding on the board to buy. I expect though that boards will be more expensive on the mountain.

Is the USA cheaper for buying boards?
Any suggestions for a beginner type board that will be the best for me this season in Canada? (Ill be there for 6 months.)

I was looking at this board: Burton Supermodel - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

Last edited by TigerWolf; 10-15-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
TigerWolf

Anyone got any tips or advice?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Burton may have some of the most expensive boards, but are not necessarily the best boards either. Do not get me wrong, I love burton products. I'm currently using Burton CO2 Bindings. However, I would suggest you check out the Never Summer line of snowboards. For the price, they are some of the best snowboards I've ever seen. Honestly, I have a weak spot for Never Summer. Their boards are ridiculously well-built, they are fun to ride, they can take a mighty beating, and never summer provides a wonderful 3-Year warranty. You say you would like an All-Mountain board? Check out the NS SL-R: { SL-R } Never Summer Boards
It is available in 164.

Also, with a size 12 boot, you might just not need a wide. I wear size 12 boots as well, and I am fine. I'm borderline, but I've never had ANY toe or heel drag issues. I am a freerider, so I would notice if I had any drag issues immediately. (I'm riding the Never Summer Premier F1-R and the Waist width is the same as the SL-R's (well, almost, 25.6 vs 25.5, not enough to make much difference)).

As for buying a board in the states, it's not always cheaper. If you get it shipped to someone in the states, then yes, it will be cheaper. However, if you're going to be in Canada, and order from the states, expect ridiculous border fees and taxes and more expensive shipping. Your best bet would be to order from a Canadian website. There are many, I can link you some if you can't find any.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
TigerWolf

That would be great. Found it hard to find any good stores in Canada, so some links would help me out.

I was also looking at Forum boards (like the Recon) and Nitro.

Im confused at all of the boards and types and how to narrow it down to something I want.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's the list of all canadian boardshops: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...e-tailers.html
I found it particularly useful.

I understand how one could be easily intimidated by all the board types that are out nowadays, but let's keep it simple for you.
What is your riding style? Do you go into parks often? Or are you more of a freerider who likes to bomb down hills, mowing anything in your path?
For Park, all you need is a slightly softer board, one that flexes more easily. For freeride, you'll want a stiffer board, so that your board doesn't chatter when going at higher speeds. There are also many options for those who like doing everything (All-Mountain boards). Like I suggested above, the Never Summer SL-R would be great for you. It's an all mountain board with decent flex, not too stiff but not too soft. I've honestly never heard anything bad about never summer boards...

As for forum boards, I can't really give you a decent response for that, since I do not have any firsthand experience with that brand. All I can say is, You can never go wrong with a never summer! Ask around the forums, here, everyone (or almost) will agree.

Last edited by Prophecies; 10-15-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Prophecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
TigerWolf

Never summer is a bit out of my price range, I can get some cheaper 08 boards. Might get one as my second board but just looking for one to get me started.

The ones I found on sierrasnowboard are the:
Forum Recon
Nitro Shield Tigre
Force Symbol
Nitro Lander

Which one should I go for?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Forum recon is one of the best beginner board out there...cant say anything about the rest.
________
group Cams

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 08:38 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

2010 Burton Blunt Wide. v-rocker, beveled base, PDE, beginner-friendly, $370

Order it from the USA.

and make sure that your bindings have a disc that is compatible with Burton 3D

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 10-18-2009 at 12:26 AM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would reccomend looking for a good deal on a board from last year because it will be way marked down in price. My first board is a burton clash (last years) and I have no complaints, it is a good beginner/intermediate all mountain board, sure you will grow out of it eventually but its a good board to start with. I have also heard some good things about never summer and forum boards.
jordan2734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
TigerWolf

Thanks, I will just grab one of those boards and then maybe get a better board later on in the year.