2nd Season, 1st Board - Burton Custom etc... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
battlecat

Question 2nd Season, 1st Board - Burton Custom etc...

Hey guys this season will be my 2nd boarding season, I'm an amateur, but catching on quick.

I board in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada.
Shoe Size: 9.5 mens shoe
Weight: 155lbs
Height: 5'8"
Ride style: Most likely freeriding, but would also like to be able to do tricks if possible!
Budget: Flexible, above average
I would prefer a nice design on my board.
From online it says the length of my board (according to my stats) should be 150 - 155cm long? And 24 - 26cm wide? Not sure if I should go with 154cm or 156cm length...

I've been looking online at:

Burton Custom
Burton Royale
Lib-tech T.Rice

Lib-tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix (but it's a trick board I think, how well do they work just carving?)
Rome Anthem (don't really like the design tho I guess it doesn't matter too much)
NeverSummer boards (not sure which one is good for me)
K2 Eldorado (156cm only I think)
Salomon Special? Prospect?

So... could anyone give me some pointers? What's good, what's not there? Any other recommendations for me?

Also, I'm not just looking for a board, I need boots, bindings (don't know what the difference between good bindings and bad bindings are!), goggles (do most of you wear them?), do I need a helmet?, board pants/jacket...

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited by battlecat; 11-18-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Traynor2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecat
Hey guys this season will be my 2nd boarding season, I'm an amateur, but catching on quick.

I board in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada.
Shoe Size: 9.5 mens shoe
Weight: 155lbs
Height: 5'8"
Ride style: Most likely freeriding, but would also like to be able to do tricks if possible!
Budget: Flexible, above average
I would prefer a nice design on my board.
From online it says the length of my board (according to my stats) should be 150 - 155cm long? And 24 - 26cm wide? Not sure if I should go with 154cm or 156cm length...

I've been looking online at:

Burton Custom
Burton Royale
Lib-tech T.Rice

Lib-tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix (but it's a trick board I think, how well do they work just carving?)
Rome Anthem (don't really like the design tho I guess it doesn't matter too much)
NeverSummer boards (not sure which one is good for me)
K2 Eldorado (156cm only I think)
Salomon Special? Prospect?

So... could anyone give me some pointers? What's good, what's not there? Any other recommendations for me?

Also, I'm not just looking for a board, I need boots, bindings (don't know what the difference between good bindings and bad bindings are!), goggles (do most of you wear them?), do I need a helmet?, board pants/jacket...

Thanks for any help!!
The Anthem is a great all around board Haven't ridden anything else except Neversummer I would recommend the SL to you. Its a Freestyle/All-Mountain board you can still freeride with it, and it will be good for learning tricks.

You will always hear from this Forum try on your boots before you buy... basically try on every boot you can until you find a pair that comfortable for you.

Good bindings to me are the Rome 390s and Targas, and the Ride SpIs and Exs. I would say go for the 390s or EXs cause they aren't the most expensive bindings out there but they're nice for the intermediate stuff.

Goggles I have to wear goggles or else I get my glasses fogged up, Goggles are like boots find a pair that fit Your FACE then make sure you think they're hardy enough.

Clothing I will recommend 686, Sessions, and Bonfire for clothing I have the Sessions Ridgeseries so that I can layer as needed.

For helmet I always ride with a helmet course I don't want anymore concussions, and if you're going to be hitting the park at all it will be required, I would also recommend Elbow and Knee pads. I wear Knee Pads, and Wrist Guards.

Well I've talked too much and said too little so good luck hope this helps
Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
battlecat

Hey thanks for the response :]

I'll look at that Never Summer SL, but also the Never Summer Heritage looks nice... would it suit me?

Also, does anyone know anything about K2 boards? (ie. Eldorado)

One more, the Burton Tadashi Fuse 2007. Could I use this for my purposes or is it a trick board?

So, could someone tell me what size snowboard I should lean toward? 154cm, 156cm? or smaller since I'm closer to 5'7.5"

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
battlecat

Question

Awesome thanks guy!

I just went out and bought boots and bindings... ThirtyTwo Lashed boots (blue/black/white), and Ride RX brindings! They both look slick and feel good.

Now all I need is a board, pants, and goggles.

I need someone's opinion on a Burton Custom because I can get a good deal on it. Can a beginner/intermediate ride it? I'll most likely keep it for awhile and grow with it. Thanks!

OH and also the Burton Custom is a 154cm, but I think that would suit me well since I don't think I'm growing that much, gonna stay at 5'7.5" and ~155-160lbs so.... is that a good size?

Last edited by battlecat; 11-19-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
battlecat

bump...

anyone recommend the Burton Custom?

and here are some sales:

2007 ATOMIC - Alibi 156cm

2007 ENDEAVOR - Live Series

2007 NEVER SUMMER - Heritage

2007 ROSSIGNOL - SONAR

2006 ROSSIGNOL - RS

thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I rode a Burton Custom in 2002 and loved it. It was my first board and was a great all around board. Until it got stolen at the resort. If you're buying nice new gear invest in a damn good lock also. I now ride a 2004 Palmer Classic. Not sure if you checked them out or not but I like it. And you can usually find a decent deal on them.
bobepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
battlecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepfd
I rode a Burton Custom in 2002 and loved it. It was my first board and was a great all around board. Until it got stolen at the resort. If you're buying nice new gear invest in a damn good lock also. I now ride a 2004 Palmer Classic. Not sure if you checked them out or not but I like it. And you can usually find a decent deal on them.
cool thanks for your input..

I'm going to the store today cause the sale is on and they have a Burton Royale 08 for $380 Canadian dollars and a Burton Custom 08 for $520 CDN.

Anyone know anything about the Royale? Thanks!