Need help with a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
dye18

Default Need help with a new board

So i stopped snowboarding when i was probably in 8th grade and decided to start again last year im 20 now. I used to be decent so i thought i would buy a nice setup considering i could pro deal the gear through my work. I got a 09 k2 darkstar 157 wide, k2 t1 db boots, k2 formula bindings. I finally got to go out and use this setup and i found out i wasnt as good as i thought i was and the board was just way to wide and it was really hard to turn/carve and wasnt very forgiving. So im looking for more of a beginner all mountain board thats more forgiving than my darkstar. It has to beable to turn alot easier. I dont wanna go with a wide board it just didnt feel right but i do wear size 12 boots. I wont really be riding powder cuz i go to mountain high in socal. As far as my budget goes im trying to sell my 09 darkstar at the moment and i already have bindings and boots i really like. Looking to keep the price down so im looking for a recommendation of a 09 board. From what i understand its easier to progress and turn/carve on shorter boards so im probably looking for something around 157ish. Im 6'3 185lbs. Bottom line is i just need an easy to ride all mountain board, i really need to develop my carving better so i can keep up with my friends.

Last edited by dye18; 10-16-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't really know what to suggest as far as boards. But I just wanted to say that despite being rusty after a long break, don't consider yourself a beginner - things will come back fairly quickly. So don't buy a board you're going to outgrow within the first month or two of the season.
From the time I was 4 to the age of 24 I would go up between 10-30 times a season, culminating in a winter spent in Whistler going 5 days a week (2001/2002). Since then I've gone about 5 times, and have been very rusty each time but got to the point where I was comfortable bombing hills (no big air though) by the end of the day. I'm not saying that your board is right for you - but it might be that you just need to go a few more times and you'll be comfortable again and really like your board.
BTW, I'm pretty much your same size - for me I wouldn't consider anything smaller than what you've got. The smallest I've ridden is a 159, and for my all purpose board I'm sticking with something between 158-162. I'm really thinking of buying a season pass this winter and get back into boarding...I've missed it a lot.
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

This in 161

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
dye18

i was looking at some 2009 boards in my price ranger and came up with the ride control, k2 format, and rome solution. Any input on these boards? Also on the size i was planning on getting around 158, but on the size chart for the ride control 158cm 130-180lbs and 162cm 140-190lbs. im 185lbs so since im near the top would the 162 be better cuz i was planning on riding a shorter board.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

How about a Rossignol One Mag, or Angus?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

your problem isn't with the board

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
dye18

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
your problem isn't with the board
it was above my skill level and to wide

Last edited by dye18; 10-17-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

It isn't too wide otherwise u'd get toe or heel drag which would suck.
Matuuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
dye18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuuh View Post
It isn't too wide otherwise u'd get toe or heel drag which would suck.
I just dont feel comfortable carving on wide boards, ide rather just use a slimmer board

Last edited by dye18; 10-17-2009 at 01:22 PM.