Help with First Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help with First Board

Hello everyone, I have recently taken interest in purchasing a snowboard. I've been snowboarding for about 6 ish years and I've finally decided to buy my own. I was looking at the Burton Clash 2014 at a local store (wide), and I'm an intermediate rider. I know its a beginner-intermediate board, and I want to use it for a while. Is this a good choice? I ride groomers and go through the park every now and then. I was told from a Expert rider that at my level just purchase a good brand, functional board around $200-$350 and as long as you get good boots + bindings the board doesn't really matter all that much. How do you think the board will fair for me?

Last edited by CharlesT; 10-24-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:39 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't waste your money on the Clash. I like Burton boards, but you can do much better in that price range with other brands. If you want to stick with Burton get a Process or Custom. Camber or Flying V depending on your profile preference.

Boots > Board > Bindings

Plenty of other threads on here with great board recommendations that you should check out.

If you want sizing help or a better rec - post your weight, boot size, where you ride and any more detail about riding style or goals this season (anything more than your previously stated mostly groomers and some park).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:53 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
I was told from a Expert rider that at my level just purchase a good brand, functional board around $200-$350 and as long as you get good boots + bindings the board doesn't really matter all that much. How do you think the board will fair for me?
This is very good advice, follow it. Boot fit is the most important part.

With that taken care of, and assuming you're in the US, here's a few boards on sale that I think would do far better than a Clash, especially if you've been riding 6 years.

Yes. Jackpot Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
K2 Subculture Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
Yes. Public Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
Arbor Relapse Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
Slash Happy Place Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
K2 Happy Hour Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
Rome Mod Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
Salomon The Villain Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet (They have a wide)
Yes. Standard Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet (wides)

You said a wide clash, how big are your feet, and how much do you weigh?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering for the future, why exactly is the Burton clash 2014 a bad board for me? As a first time buyer, I know that one must consider the flex, profile, rocker, ect. But what makes a board such as this not as Good as competitors?

Oh yeah and I weigh 185 lb and wear a 13 US
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:37 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
The Clash is basically the definition of a beginners board. Very forgiving, not very lively or fast. It has full rocker (which personally I don't like, poor edge hold, no pop) is soft so won't hold up well at speed, and has an extruded base which also limits speed, and is a directional board (set back + taper) so it won't ride switch as well as a twin, which if you're going through the park and intending to progress there, a twin is better, or at least a directional twin. Basically it's the wrong board for you in every way.

I'd recommend something between a 156-162, depending on the specific board and if you want it to be more cruisey and playful or fast, aggressive and stable.

Is your foot a size 13, or do you wear a size 13 shoe... I'd bet we could get you into a size 12 boot which helps open up your options. It'd pay to measure the length of your foot in centimeters so you can properly size your boots.

If you can fit into a size 12 boot, these should be wide enough:
Yes. The Basic Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
Arbor Relapse Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
Ride Buckwild Wide Snowboard 2015 | evo outlet
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 10:47 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was going to post something very similar to Phedder, but thought I'd check out the 2015 / 2016 Clash to make sure it wasn't updated. In fact, the profile has changed. It was previously a very pronounced rocker and is now flat with rocker in the tips. I still doubt you'd be happy with it since it isn't going to handle speed well. You can do much better for a similar price.

EDIT: Just saw you are looking at a 2014, so everything Phedder wrote applies. Its like a bike with training wheels. It will get you riding, but the equipment is a crutch.

Last edited by DevilWithin; 10-24-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode