Great entry level board anyone?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
TohaG

Cool Great entry level board anyone??

Guys, feeling PUMPED cause I'm gonna hit the slopes snowboarding for the first time this season. Looking for an great entry level board. Any good advice?

So far, I'm at Burton Clash, years 2008-2010. Thinking of size 151 cm so it's easier to control. I'm about 5'7", 152-154 lb. What do you think?

I actually got a 2008 Burton Primo 152 cm at a snowboard show cause it was a decent deal. But I think I made a mistake + I'm not a fan of the artwork.

What am I looking for in an entry level board? What good boards are there, preferable around $200 mark? Previous years models would be ideal so I can save some cash.

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rent. What if you don't stick with it? Not everyone will love snowboarding. Got buddies that ride? They have any boards they wouldn't mind you thrashing on?

You won't find many Burton fans on here. They make some decent boards, but if you're looking in the $200 range, there will almost certainly be better options. Burton's name allows them to overcharge.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
TohaG

Alright thanks. If not Burton, what better options am I looking at?

I am pretty determined. I will ride until I'm better. That's why I dismissed renting right away. I'll just end up paying more that way.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Why Burton? Also, you have a board already why not use it to see if you actually like the sport. Also, graphics is the last thing you should really worry about. My suggestion is stick with the board you got, figure out your riding style, and pick a board from there. $200 won't get you much. So save your money til then and get a real board. With $500 bucks to can get a really nice board from Never Summer or K2
gotamahuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
skim7x

Rent first... believe me... I have a couple friends who tried boarding and they hated it... it's definitely not for everyone, and I'm glad they didn't buy their equipment because the demand for used equipment is pretty low, especially for boots...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
TohaG

Well it's too late now, I've got a lot of the gear. :P But I don't regret it. What I'm trying to determine now is a good starter board, something to make the learning go smooth. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Another point, why would you you spend money on a board that not that good, when you already have another board that isn't great. It's buying crap and spend another $200 to buy more crap. The Primo you have now will let you learn how to ride, so just save your money so you can get a way better board. You'll be happier that way anyways. Assuming you get bindings and a great pair of boots. BOOTS come first, then board, and finally bindings.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
TohaG

Well I'll sell the one I got. There's no point keeping two crappy boards. But I want a crappy board that will give me a better learning experience. And Burton speaking, it seems Clash is the way to go for a beginner and not Primo. But what do I know? And no one is suggesting any other boards...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, you probably wont sell that board for much, maybe $50 I don't know.

Here's a good baord to start, it's my first board. Ride Agenda 156cm

Ride Agenda Snowboard 2009 : Snowboards | evo outlet
Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Beginner Board

I would add the Atomic Hatchet to the list if you are set on buying a budget board. You can find them at a pretty good price right now and they are decent.

Since you already have a board though, it would be best to just learn on that, then spend a few extra bucks and get a nicer board like others have suggested. Why own two crappy boards when one will do just fine to learn on?
jr05 is offline   Reply With Quote