Snowboarding terms for newbies - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Florida Cracker

Default Snowboarding terms for newbies

I'm a Florida boy trying to learn a bit about snowboarding, and I need to learn your language.

I think a rocker is a chair with curved supports, used by old people. What do snowboarders mean by rocker?

I think a jib is the sail up at the pointy end of the boat. What do you mean when you use that word?

I think a deck is the top surface of a boat. What do snowboarders mean by deck?

I think camber is the curvature on an airplane's wing, and the bottoms of my water skis are concave. How do you use those terms?

I think pop is what yankees call a coke. What is pop?

I think a stick is what I throw for my dog when she has chewed up all the frisbees. What do you mean by stick?

Butter is stuff I smear on a muffin in large quantities. What do you mean by butter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
skim7x

Search next time... this took me all of 30 seconds to find:

Snowboarding Dictionary - Snowboarding Terms and Definitions
Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I never knew there were so many words in the boarders dictionary lol. I need to study. I think my favorite so far is:

FEESH
(submitted by: funncriminal)

Cool foreign dude from the Andes that pulls lots of hot chick with his South American charm.
cstrumol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Florida Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
Search next time... this took me all of 30 seconds to find:

Snowboarding Dictionary - Snowboarding Terms and Definitions
Wow, for a dictionary the overall quality of the spelling is appalling, but that's a minor complaint.

My real complaint is that it doesn't help me. Remember, a jib goes on the pointy end of a boat. So I found this:

Quote:
JIB

The act of riding on something other than snow, i.e. rails, trees, garbage cans, logs. (by Jason Dow)
OK, so they're riding on trees or cans instead of snow. Makes some sense. I'm not sure how you ride a board down trees or cans, but OK. Then I see this:

Quote:
ETCHED OUT

(submitted by: podcaspro)

When the opening take-off area for a jump, rail, or piece of equipment is cut into and tracks are left by the snowboarders edges when turning before the take-off or lip of the jump. (ie. that ride up to that jib is etched out like crazy, lets go hit some tables.)
I guess that means the word can be used as a noun or verb? I'm still kind of confused. Still confused about butter as well...

Quote:
BUTTER

(submitted by: jDigity1)

This refers to a tail press on flatland or a box. Example: Dude, I totally landed that switch butter!
BUTTER

(submitted by: imp_666)

When you lean on the nose of your board (like a nose manual) and swing the tail of your board in front. E.G. “Did you see that butter to BS 5?”

BUTTERY

(submitted by: 58mtv77)

description of a snowboard with good flex that lends itself well to the butter maneuver
So do you press on the tail or lean on the nose? The two definitions seem contradictory. And why is flex important to that maneuver?

I was trying to translate this page:

The Angry Snowboarder » Blog Archive » Camber Theories In Use

I'm really not much further along than I was before.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rocker is a reverse camber snowboard. instead of it being like a rainbow, its flipped upside down so the contact points of the board or near the center. so an upside down rainbow i guess. Jib or jibbing is when you do like a board slide or 50/50 down a hand rail or box. just youtube that and it will explain. A deck is your snowboard or the equilvilent of a porch Camber is the curveture of the snowboard. POP is the snappiness of the board. a board with good pop is good for ollies and get higher amounts of lift ok kickers and rollers. Stick = snowboard (i think)
Butter is leaning back or forward on a board so you are essentially doing a "wheelie" on your snowboard.(really fun)

I may have made a fool out of myself for being incorrect but i dont care. if you still dont get it. YOUTUBE the word you want to know and + snowboard to the end of it
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

camber is the arc in the middle of the board if you were to lay it flat on the ground. right in between the inserts it should rise off the ground.

camber usually helps with "pop". the amount of pop is pretty much means "ollie" but instead of pulling up on your front foot followed by the back like you would ollie on a skate board its more of a jump with both feet at the same time. think of a jump shot on basketball, you bend your knees down then "pop" up for the shot.

rocker would be the opposite of camber. if you lay the board flat on the ground it will kind of rock in between the inserts.

when you "jib" something it simply means to grind, bonk or tap anything like rails, trees, snow guns and anything really.

all a deck is is your snowboard. like you would call your skateboard your deck we do the same thing.
stick is a synonym of deck and means the same exact thing.

when you butter something for the most part it means pressing the tail OR nose. there are MANY variations of butters and its kinda of hard to explain them all. usually when i say butter i mean doing a nose or tail press while going down the slope sideways or even spinning while doing the press on flat ground.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone remember when the full term was "butter your muffin"?
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Cracker View Post
Wow, for a dictionary the overall quality of the spelling is appalling, but that's a minor complaint.

My real complaint is that it doesn't help me.
'Cerebral' and 'snowboarder' aren't never used in the same sentence unless they are separated by 'not'.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
'Cerebral' and 'snowboarder' aren't never used in the same sentence unless they are separated by 'not'.
perfect example. haha
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
davis

"mountains" - "Large vertically inclined land masses suitable for the activity of snowboarding; something not found in Florida."

"snow" - "Precipitation that occurs in a solid, frozen state in cold climates; something never seen in Florida."

Maybe you should just buy a wake board? But if you do go for the snowboard thing, you'll want to go no farther north than North Carolina. Of course, its got all you need. Hell, they put the word "North" in the name for something, right? Absolutely avoid Snowshoe in West Virginia like the plague. Most Floridians that have visited that evil place get eaten by Yetis. The rest have been gang raped by the inbred lifties while on their 15 minute smoke breaks. Seriously, its a scary world up there.