rent or buy? details inside - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
blackinches

Default rent or buy? details inside

Hello, I'll try to make it short and sweet. I'm going to Angel Fire for my 5th year snowboarding. I'm a very avid wakeboarder/wakeskater(ride all year long actually). I'm no beginner on a snowboard but definitely very amateur. Anyways, I'm tired of renting every year because it's a waste of money for some cheap board when I go every year. I'm really wanting to invest in a setup to save money and get something a little more advanced. I'm unsure of what size to go with. I believe I rode a 154 last year. If it makes a difference I ride a 138 wakeboard/ 42" wakeskate. I'm 6', 195lbs.

I'm hoping to find a used setup in the classifieds section on this site(great site BTW). My only fear and main concern for posting this thread is I'm stuck in Arkansas/Texas(twin city) which means I zero shops to try things on. Should I keep renting due to having the ability to find something comfortable on the spot(and being able to try different things) or take a chance to find a decent setup to keep and risk not liking the way it feels? Keep in mind I'll be going every year as I'm on my 5th year.

If I could get some insight from you guys that would be great. I hate to post a noob thread like this but I'm really curious about the renting or finally making a purchase of my own.

Thanks in advance.

-black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My suggestion is find a board/binding combo and buy that if the price is right. I would suggest a 158-160cm at your weight for all mountain riding. You can rent or demo boots from core shops in any given resort area. By doing this, you can find a boot that works well for you before buying a boot. Your other option is to just wait until you are at a resort to work with a boot fitter to try on some boots. Don't be afraid to spend money on boots that fit well, it is definitely worth the cost.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

How often do you go snowboarding? If you are usually only making one trip a winter it may be better to just continue renting gear. It would be cheaper for you (over the long run maybe not, but its 40 bucks a winter compared to 300-400 all at once) and if you feel fine on rental gear there would be no huge benefit to buying. If you are wanting to buy, I agree with the above post in waiting to find boots. The rest of your gear you could buy from any number of websites (sierrasnowboard.com, dogfunk.com, etc). You're almost exactly my size, and I ride a 159. Anything in the range of 159 and 162 or so would be perfect for you.
gidget_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Agreed on the sizing - depending on how you like to ride I'd suggest 158-164.
Also, if you're going multiple days each season (even though it's one trip), it might make financial sense to buy. And then there's also pride of ownership!
Oh, and as the others have said, never buy boots without trying them on - they're the most important piece of equipment you're going to buy.
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
blackinches

thanks guys. i love hauling ass down the mountains so i'm assuming longer board = better?

what's the main difference when it comes down to a shorter board for me or a longer? i was assuming speed.

i'll keep renting due to not being able to try on a pair of bindings. thanks again.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackinches View Post
thanks guys. i love hauling ass down the mountains so i'm assuming longer board = better?

what's the main difference when it comes down to a shorter board for me or a longer? i was assuming speed.

i'll keep renting due to not being able to try on a pair of bindings. thanks again.
= better. I ride a 163 and I'm 5"10/250.
Longer is faster but more importantly, more stable(damping and flex, constant). You ever ride your trick skateboard down a steep grade and it feels all squirrely but a longboard doesn't? Narrow down some board choices and find a shop that demos at your resort. They will usually credit you if you purchase. They probably have some binding and boot options for you to try. I got free waxes all week, too. Drop it off at the end of the day and get my drunk on. Pick it up in the morning.
Kapn.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

board lengths goes by ur weight. Generally people who freerides prefer longer and stiffer boards for speed and stability.
People who jib or freestyles in the park wants shorter boards for easier maneuver and control. If u ride all mountain, anything around 162 shud be good.

You dont really need to try on bindings as long as u buy according to ur boot size. but u definitely need to try on boots before u buy em to make sure they are comfortable and not too stiff/soft.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 08:41 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Don't worry about bindings. You could probably have a wall full of bindings in front of you, close your eyes, spin around and point your finger at the wall and whichever bindings you're pointing at would be acceptable. Boots are super important, board is very important, bindings aren't anywhere near as important as boots and board.
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
blackinches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---NT--- View Post
Don't worry about bindings. You could probably have a wall full of bindings in front of you, close your eyes, spin around and point your finger at the wall and whichever bindings you're pointing at would be acceptable. Boots are super important, board is very important, bindings aren't anywhere near as important as boots and board.
oops, let me clarify. i'm so used to the water i forgot there are boots, bindings and a board when it comes to snowboarding. by saying bindings i meant boots, sorry.

thanks for all the insight guys. i was sure i was going to get beat up for being a noob.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
oops, let me clarify. i'm so used to the water i forgot there are boots, bindings and a board when it comes to snowboarding. by saying bindings i meant boots, sorry.

thanks for all the insight guys. i was sure i was going to get beat up for being a noob.
It's all good. We all have to start somewhere.
Kapn.K is offline   Reply With Quote