Need some advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Patrickadizzle

Default Need some advice

I need a new board, but I have bindings. Basically I bought a GNU 2009 GNU carbon high beam brand new, off someone on craigslist. The board hadn't even been used, still had the stickers but had no warranty on it since I bought it off someone else and not a retailer. Fast forward to February and I can't exactly remember what it was, but I did something to make the font end of the board have a nice crack right through the core, that was extremely hard to ride with and just overall trashed the board. This was odd to me considering my nollies couldn't have been THAT hard, I'm only 5"8' 152 pounds.

Anyway, I'm looking to find a Never Summer SL-R 08-09 Edition? I can't afford the brand new one, I have heard awesome things about this board and I can't find it anywhere. Basically what I'm asking is, is it worth it to buy lightly used with no warranty and save tons of money or should I not risk it and just continue saving up and buy brand new.

My question is: Was my board cracking a fluke? Should I spend the extra money for retail this time? Because I saved TONS of money buying the GNU from the guy, and I can assure you nothing was sketchy about the board when it arrived. I just don't want to spend 300+ on a board and only use it for one season when I could have spent 400+ and have it last me 2-3 years.

Second: I have 08-09 K2 indy bindings, they were alright to say the least. If I got a nicer board like a Never Summer SL-R, should I invest in something nicer like Flow M9's or 390's?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

All I can say is don't buy a new board from a company that won't even honor their warranty. Tech Nine and Forum will not give you a new snowboard, so stay away from them. I dunno about GNU. Ask the people at some shops. They will know which companies give them problems and what snowboards have a history of returns. I personally would never buy used. But if you can check the board out before buying, you'll be able to judge whether it's worth it or not.

As for your binding question, I only have experience with Union Data, Burton Triad/Mission/Cartel, Atomic Manhatten and Drake F60. All of which I recommend, aside from Atomics, and not wild about the Drakes either. If you're satisfied with your current set, get your use out of them.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Never Summer 3yr Warranty
Arbor 2yr Warranty
Venture 2yr Warranty

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m60g View Post
Venture 2yr Warranty
Lol, nice.

I keep wanting to demo some of the Venture stuff
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Venture boards are built like brick shithouses. You'll never crack one short of using a bulldozer.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

2-3yr warranty doesn't always mean they will honor it. Smaller companies tend to be better about it. Like I said before, ask the guys at the shop if they've had smooth returns in the past. I know Forum will almost never honor a warranty, dispite having them. I have heard the same for Tech Nine. Just be careful. The shop owner will know all about the degree of hastle the companies they carry will give them over warranty items.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Patrickadizzle

With a Never Summer SL-R, should I size down to the 151, or stick to the 155.

5"8 150 pounds, all mountain rider.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Patrickadizzle

If I could get my size question answered, that would be great. It's either the 155 or the 151.

Also does anyone have any experience with Flow M9/M11 bindings they want to share?'

Much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The word on the street is that the SL-R is a fairly stiff board. I would say 155 for the mountain and 151 for the park.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Patrickadizzle

Guess you can't have the best of both worlds. Bleh.

thanks for the reply tazanman.