purchasing first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
senseless228

Default purchasing first board

I've snowboarded a few times, and picked it up the basics very quickly, thanks to a few years of skateboarding. But I'm still at the lower end of intermediate. I know that I'm going to go snowboarding a few times this year, and more in the future, so it would be more cost effective for me to buy my own equipment. However, I know nothing about brands, and what determines the quality of a board. I know of a few brands such as burton, rome, nitro, but as with all things, the best known brands are rarely the best products.

So my question is obviously going to be to help me pick equipment.

I need something very basic, most likely an all-around board, but leaning more towards freestyle. This is going to be for more casual/fun snowboarding.

I'm 5'10
160 pounds
size 10 shoes
Boarding on the east coast
again, all around, but more towards freestyle
from my research, it seems 153-156cm would be good, but I'm open to anything

I'm looking for a budget board/bindings, that are just decent performance, but will last me a long time (thats priority)

I see a lot of good looking boards online, for 150-200 bucks (thats the price range I'm looking at) but I can't find much about the brands, like morrow, lamar, flow, airwalk, rosignol(sp?)

so, pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciate, and I don't mind doing a lot of research for this, but a starting point would be great. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
senseless228

Any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

What's your budget? Most $200 boards aren't the best quality, but if it's what you have to work with, then we can help you out.

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
senseless228

well, I'm looking for just the board for 150-200, not including bindings

again, this is for casual snowboarding, maybe a few tricks here and there, i just decided that renting a handful of times will be roughly the same price.

overall budget for board/bindings/boots is around the 300 dollar mark, maybe a bit more if its really worth it.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You won't be able to get a great board for that price, but maybe you can get a decent used board. I got a season old Rome Anthem 158 for $250 a couple years ago and it it still a very nice board early/late season when the snow is thin.

Also, don't listen to all the rules about board length that get spouted off. Get a board that suits your style and the kind of snow you will be on, NOT one that someone says you should have because of height weight.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
senseless228

well, i feel that 154-156 is about the right size for me, and i just want to be pointed in the right direction in terms of brand. On some websites I see the morrow brand having reasonably priced boards, and I know specs aren't what determine how good a board is, but thats the price range I'm looking at. I just want some recommendations for brands, is morrow a decent board that will last me a while? (in terms of durability)
Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
senseless228

also nitro boards seem to be in a reasonable price range. any input?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Morrow used to be one of the best brands out there, now not so much. I'd look for a closeout on boards from Ride, Nitro, Rome, K2, GNU (Carbon High Beam best buy if you can find one) etc.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Forum Youngblood Freestyle Snowboard - Free Shipping! from Backcountryoutlet.com

That should do well also
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote