Capita Stairmaster or ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aquafinaorbit

Default Capita Stairmaster or ?

Hey, been browsing on here for a few days trying to get some info before I make a new board/binding purchase. So far NS and Capita have seemed to stand out as decent buys, but I'm 5'3 and looking for a board 148 or less and it dosn't seem NS goes below 150. Anyway I've really been eying the Capita Stairmaster 144 (2010). I'm primarily looking for a park board but I do instruct so I spend a few hours a day on the beginner trails. (Not to worried about that though as I'm pretty sure I could ride a 2x4 with bindings down these trails)So any suggestions or is the stairmaster a good board for the price? Also what should I be looking into for bindings? Thanks and I'm looking to keep the board under 400$ but I quality calls for a bit more then I'll work something out.

My current setup is a 150cm Heelside with Ride LX bindings.

Last edited by Aquafinaorbit; 10-23-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

hmm... have you read the stickies? http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen....html#post7108 How much do you weigh? Weight determines board length around here, not height. NS EVO-R goes down to 148.

You instruct? Cool. Stairmaster is a good choice, same with the Scaremaster, same board. Have you considered anti-camber board, if so, Horrorscope, Green Machine also good choice. K2 WWW-Rocker is a good park board, lower price, may be on the soft side, but shouldn't be a problem even on the beginner trails or groomers. Rome Agent, and Postermania goes below 150cm. All these are very good brands, and MSRP shouldn't be ripping you off with a B badge or something. See if you can snag any of last years models online or your local shop, if you see something you are considering, do some research and get it.
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
von

......evo-r ?
von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Aquafinaorbit

Thanks for the advice, this is the exact reason I was posting as I new I was missing a lot. I'm 135lb, and am very open to things like reverse camber and rocker styles but honestly am not sure what these things really are. I tried running some searches on here and google but all that I can really find is boards that have these features, not much on what they are.(Beyond a rocker style instead of being a rainbow style curvature to a board has the contact points at your feet?) And I did read that sticky, but honestly it was a few days ago and I already forgot what it said so my mistake. But basically last time I went to get a board I went to the local shop, felt things like flex and weight and based my decision on that, so I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to these terms.

Weight :135
Boot size :9.0
Riding style: Park
Age (20)
budget (400)
Your location of riding: North Carolina USA though I will be going to places like Colorado, Tahoe, and Vermont.

On that Evo-R based on my weight would I be looking at the 142 or the 148? (As I said before I currently ride a 150 so 148 is fine with me, but I'm really interested in trying a smaller size as it seems I'd have more control.)

Thanks again for any help.

Last edited by Aquafinaorbit; 10-23-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm going to go ahead and recommend the Evo-R...again. You said you ride park, the Evo-R is a sick board in and out of the park from what I hear...I have yet to take mine out on the snow, just the carpet where I've been spending all of my riding time..

Whoa quick edit there, haha. Id recommend the 148.
ColinHoernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's a good read on reversed camber, The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories Explained and The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories In Use . At your weight 148 for the Evo, I heard the 142 is for kids that are under 100 lbs.

For a park board, I say somewhere between 147-151 should be good. Higher in the range for all-mountain.

It might be a good idea to demo some boards before you buy, to see what you like. Maybe you can make a decision off of that, and find similar boards from reviews. I personally think it's hard to feel the flex and weight at a shop, and make my decision like that, unless I have tried make boards and have something to compare it to.

The Evo is a good choice, but the price may not drop much, and inventory might run out fast. There plenty of good park boards out there, and you can find a really good deals

Last edited by gamer539; 10-23-2009 at 09:47 PM.
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the Evo r and the stairmaster arent even in the same class of boards though purely because of price. the stairmaster is a great board, as is the evo r but there are many differences. they are rather close in flex though. they will both be substanial for all mountain boarding though, but they both would rather be in the park.

for the money the stairmaster is probably a better deal, but the evo r is the better board.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a Scaremaster (same as a Stairmaster) and an Evo-R and the Evo-R is a helluva lot more fun in general to cruise around on. They are both good boards though but I wouldn't really think they are comparable. The Stairmaster Extreme is nice but still plain camber.

For you though I would check out the Never Summer Circuit-R. It's cheaper then the Evo-R and even more "park" oriented and still rocker/comber/vario grip sidecut. They make it down to a 148. The Never Summer's get you a sintered base where the Stairmaster is extruded unless you get an Extreme.

Last edited by FLuiD; 10-23-2009 at 10:29 PM.
FLuiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Aquafinaorbit

Thanks for all the info, this may sound stupid but does Neversummer go by any other name as I can't find it on a few big sites like proboardshop and the-house.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafinaorbit View Post
Thanks for all the info, this may sound stupid but does Neversummer go by any other name as I can't find it on a few big sites like proboardshop and the-house.
pro board shop and the house are the same company, so they have the same brands and that site blows huge penis...try dogfunk, sierra snowboards(no NS though), evo gear, eternal snow, milosport...those are the top sites..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote