I want to try something new. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Question I want to try something new.

Since I've started snowboarding, all of my boards have either been flat, camber or camrock. To be honest, before I came here not too long ago I didn't even know there were different board shapes other than length, width, twin, directional and, well, how they looked. I just snowboard because I love it. I taught myself and never really got educated on it, just relied on my time on the hill. Yes, hill. Not mountain.

In the past, I would just buy a board based on the description at a shop, or what a manufacturer's website says, then ride the hell out of it. I would always gravitate towards all-mountain boards based on my riding style, which is probably why I've always had camber or camrock.

I'd love to try something new to get more perspective and perhaps a different feel. I know nothing about rocker boards other than how they are suppose to ride, but when it comes to RCR, RCRCRCRCRC (wtf?), hybrid, C2BTX (wtf?), C3BTX (wtf?) Flying V (wtf?) etc I'm not sure what I should choose. I don't really have the option to try boards before I ride them, unfortunately. This is why I'm making this thread.

What I'm asking for are some boards to consider that have rocker in them, primarily between the feet since I've always had camber between the feet. I would consider my riding style all-terrain freestyle/freeride, love trees, steeps, ride a lot of switch, moguls, high-speed groomers, etc. My park riding is minimal, maybe 25-30% of the time.

I'm 5'10", 170lbs in a size 8.5 boot.
I'm not brand loyal
Prefer a twin since I ride a lot of switch

I would appreciate any board suggestions to consider. As I said, I'm just looking to branch out to a different board profile and expand my snowboarding knowledge/experience. This won't be my main board.

As always, I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Are you wanting this to fit somewhere specific in your quiver, or just to experience a board with rocker between the feet, that otherwise suits your general riding style?

I'm much the same as you preferred riding style wise, and profile experience wise. I bought a RCRCR Forum Destroyer Double Dog as my park/play around board, but because it's medium stiffness it still handles the whole hill fine, I just have to remind myself it has limits on edge hold and dampness. It's my narrowest waist board, and with rocker between the feet edge to edge is a joke, so ridiculously easy, and it made progressing my switch riding far easier because of it. Not suggesting that specifically for you, but for what I wanted out of another board it fit the bill perfectly and I think you'll enjoy the different experience of having some rocker between the feet! I still prefer camber dominant profiles, but variety is nice.
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phedder View Post
Are you wanting this to fit somewhere specific in your quiver, or just to experience a board with rocker between the feet, that otherwise suits your general riding style?

I'm much the same as you preferred riding style wise, and profile experience wise. I bought a RCRCR Forum Destroyer Double Dog as my park/play around board, but because it's medium stiffness it still handles the whole hill fine, I just have to remind myself it has limits on edge hold and dampness. It's my narrowest waist board, and with rocker between the feet edge to edge is a joke, so ridiculously easy, and it made progressing my switch riding far easier because of it. Not suggesting that specifically for you, but for what I wanted out of another board it fit the bill perfectly and I think you'll enjoy the different experience of having some rocker between the feet! I still prefer camber dominant profiles, but variety is nice.
Great question.

I don't think it needs to fit in my quiver necessarily. I just want the experience of rocker. I will say going full rocker probably isn't the way to go because I hear that's a joke. However, I can't say for myself.

In short, I think I just want something that will suit how I like to ride but with a different profile than I'm used to.
post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Great value, crc flow era. Really love that board. Great side cut.

If you want full rocker with edge hold, arbor westmark. Has grip tech.

Another option would be the rome reverb rocker.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:18 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
^ Or the Rome Agent Rocker as well.

Other considerations: Burton Custom Twin Flying V (twin has a narrower waist), Riders choice if you want to try Asym and Mag as well, NS ripsaw for a more aggressive option, The West for something a touch more mellow.

Remember an equivalent stiffness in a center rocker board is going to feel a touch softer compared to a camber board, at least when it comes to pressing and ollies etc.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phedder View Post
^ Or the Rome Agent Rocker as well.

Other considerations: Burton Custom Twin Flying V (twin has a narrower waist), Riders choice if you want to try Asym and Mag as well, NS ripsaw for a more aggressive option, The West for something a touch more mellow.

Remember an equivalent stiffness in a center rocker board is going to feel a touch softer compared to a camber board, at least when it comes to pressing and ollies etc.
Agent Rocker is a great CRC board. The Reverb Rocker was too soft for me and didn't have enough grip. I don't see the point in anything less than mid flex for that profile, the shape naturally makes it fast edge to edge and it's so easy to press. The Proto also fits what your looking for but I don't think its worth the price.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Never Summer Funslinger. My favorite board of all time. The soft flex between the feet combined with ripsaw camber under/outside the feet, its a trip to have such stablity and pop on the tips yet a fun flex between your feet. It hold one of the best edges on ice (it proved that Sunday at Keystone after 3 when the entire mountian became hard as a rock) and it rides like an all mountain board. It also rides switch better than any twin I have ridden (not sure why).

Nitro Team Gullwing. Also a badass board and rides switch like a champ. Definitely a great board to own.
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Pretty much all of the suggestions above should work for you in varying degrees.

I'll throw in the Lib Tech TRS (my current ride) to the list.
Also look at boards by Niche and Smokin'.

If you want to try a rather unique board, give the Lib Tech Banana Magic a look.
Aggressive fully rockered board that is reasonably stable, but incredibly fun to ride.
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Parky? Flow Era or Arbor Westmark.
All mountainy? Custom Twin FV, Flow Drifter, Arbor Coda, or Niche Aether.
Chargey? Flow Rush, Niche Story.
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Are you looking just for different profiles or a different experience altogether? cause you need yourself a powder board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode