Buying gear - much difference between Canada and U.S? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying gear - much difference between Canada and U.S?

Hey all i'm really buzzed for this season because i'll be going to Vancouver for the winter semester as an exchange student from Australia! I'm wondering if i should get plane tickets direct to Vancouver or stop by America to go snowboard shopping? I'll be on a student budget so i'll be going for the place with the cheapest deals for buying ALL snowboard gear (clothing + equipment). Let's say i stop over by Seattle or New york would i get better deals than what i could achieve in Vancouver? It seems prices are cheaper in the states but i'm only going by the sierrasnowboard giant which seems to always have the best deals. I'd probably prefer getting gear in Seattle if i were to go to the states, since i could take an amtrak to vancouver and not worry about luggage restrictions. What do you guys think?

EDIT: So i notice another aussie asked the same question but i just want to make sure how marginal is the price diff between other cities in the states **(that i can get to these shops easily by public transport)**. Or i could go to the biggest store and try stuff on and then order online - which stores would be good for that in seattle/vancouver?

Last edited by Movendi; 10-26-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Movendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Gear in Canada can be between 20% to 75% more expensive.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Gear in Canada can be between 20% to 75% more expensive.
Ordering from Canada won't ever be 75% more expensive. I'd say more like 20-30%. And ordering from the states can be 20-30% more expensive as well. Yes, a 300$ board in the states might cost 400$ in Canada. I agree. However, there are a few things you need to take into account when ordering from the US.

1. Shipping costs are much, much higher.

2. Once you get everything paid and shipped off, you need to take into account border/customs fees. Which, depending on the value of your package, can surprise you at your doorstep with a 10-50% (on top of the price you already paid) extra charge.

3. Even though the Canadian dollar is almost at par with the US dollar, keep in mind the exchange rate.

4. Expect a much longer wait to get your stuff, and add one day for border/customs checks.

Even though the listed price for a product WILL be less expensive in the states, they don't list everything you will be charged for.

Every opportunity I get, I order directly from Canada. Yes, the listed price will be higher, but I have WAYYY less expensive shipping prices, very fast shipping, and no border fees. I am also supporting a Canadian store. There are a ton of online shops in Canada with great prices, the difference only being the exchange rate. Search, and you will find them.

Of course, there is nothing better than going to your local boardshop, and supporting your local business.

P.S. I misread your post. If you are picking it up locally, then I'd say it would end up being slightly cheaper in the states.

Last edited by Prophecies; 10-26-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Prophecies is offline   Reply With Quote