Bro need helps with gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bro need helps with gear

Ok so my brother has a board that is 156cm ride agenda board. the thing is that he weighs 100lbs. he has $500 bucks to spend. he really wants to get a SL just like me. but here is the thing, his boots suck. they are ok but are really worn out. they fold in half easy and a little too big for his feet, just a little. he cant tighten his bindings much because the binding will put lots of pressure on the foot because the boot is soft. his feet are ok, but could be better. should he just buy new boots and keep the big ass board and save up for the SL, or big the SL and keep the boots, or buy new boots and board for $500 total that will fit his size? he has only gone snowboarding 10 times already

thanks in advance
gotamahuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Man at 100 lbs a 156 is a pretty damn big board..the smallest SL-R is only 151 which is still on the larger side for his weight but not horrible.

Boots always come first though no question.

Boots > Board > Outerwear = Bindings IMHO.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Man at 100 lbs a 156 is a pretty damn big board..the smallest SL-R is only 151 which is still on the larger side for his weight but not horrible.

Boots always come first though no question.

Boots > Board > Outerwear = Bindings IMHO.
NS makes kids boards which they don't advertise very loudly. However, at 100lbs, I assume your bro is still young and growing.

Honestly, at this point, I'd tell him to get a used board. If he gets one that fits him this year, it's probably going to be too small next year.

That's the problem with kids, they grow. That and the snot on the sleeves.

EDIT: And yes, Boots are THE most important piece of equipment in the lineup. If he can get used ones, possibly from a local shop on consignment, go for that. The best of both worlds - save money and try them on first.

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 10-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What part of the country are you in?

Everyone is right when they say that boots come first, BUT that doesn't mean that you won't be able to find a decent set of boots for less than $100. Your best bet is hit up the shops ASAP and try on as many past-season boots as you can. The boots that fit me best when I looked ended up being a $60 pair of last-year boots.

What you should NOT do is skimp on fit/comfort in boots in order to save $30 or $40.

There is a much larger difference with $30-$40 in boots than $30-$40 in boards.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

thx for the replies. went to my local snowboarding shop and found a evo-r for $350. its a 148. should i get it for him and boots as well. this is the only one too >_<

I live in CO

Last edited by gotamahuy; 10-26-2009 at 08:00 PM.
gotamahuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
CapitaBoy

I would go to craigslist for a lightly used setup and then plunk down my cash on some sick boots.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Get him some new boots FIRST and ones that FIT him. He'll have to go with you to try on the boots as that's the only way you'll truly know the boots will fit. Whatever cash you have left, go through the BST/Craigslist/Ebay/etc and see if you can find a decent new or used board for him.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
CapitaBoy

The House online store has great deals on older models as well as new stuff. Might want to check there.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
eternalsnow.com

As stated above, boots always come first. Nothing else matters if your boots suck.

Hunt down that proper set of boots, and use whatever leftover cash you have to get a board and whatever else he may need.

A lightly used board is perfect for a light, little, growing ripper too. If someone's already gone to the trouble of breaking in a board, he'll have a better first day on it. I'm not a big fan of "weight determines board size", other than the fact that the 156 is more than likely way too big. It's still ridable, though. And crappy boots will make every day on the hill crappy. So boot up.

Also, be looking in the softer range of boots based on his weight. I doubt he's got really strong legs. Stiffer boots typically make riding miserable for lighter, less seasoned shreds.

Boots of choice around our shop are the Thritytwo Lashed and Celsius Cirrus. I'm an all-mountain bomber, and rocked a pair of Thirtytwo Prospects last year while on the bunny hill teaching a snow bunny. Something in the range of the Prospect will probably do him right - comfy as hell, medium-soft, break in great, and he'll get at least a season out of them. The softer boot means he won't be using strentgh to work the boot. Rather, the boot will work with his feet and legs more for longer days on-snow.