sl-r for east coast ice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cool sl-r for east coast ice?

so I called the mountain that i'll be frequenting most often this season - they don't have never summer snowboards. This sucks because now I can't try one before I buy. Also pressuring me to buy soon is the chance that they'll be out of stock in my size. So I'm thinking about just taking the plunge and ordering the sl-r... but i might need a little push.

my riding background: Been freeriding for 8 years. I love to go FAST, and carve through the mountain. My current board is 5 years old - it's 159, heavy, and stiff which is great for carving and speed. I'm looking to replace it with something that is a lighter and has more pop - I want to be able to hit jumps (maybe mess around in the park, but mainly just catching air as i'm cruising down the mountain). I'm pretty much a beginner in the park, but an advanced freerider who does not want to sacrifice speed/stability when jetting down the trails.

Never Summer's R/C tech really intrigues me - very different from my current board. but I just want to be sure this is right for me. will this board ride well in icy conditions on the east coast? Is the r/c technology help with the ice or was it designed mainly for powder? I really need to be able to travel at full speed down the mountain and not worry about the board chattering.

Lastly, at 5'11, 180, should I go with the 155 or 158? I currently have a 159cm 03' solomon forecast and it sometimes feels long, but that may just be that it's heavy. I'm looking for this board to feel more free and poppy.

thanks guys!
lambo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you love to go fast i am almost more inclined to say a Premier F1-R, i am just unfamiliar with its ability to do jumps although i doubt it will be much issue...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I read up on the F1-R, it sounds like a good board but maybe similar to the one I have. I'm looking for a different feel to try out, but still want to be able to go fast. maybe I'm asking for too much?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Because it has their RC tech its not likely to feel anything like your current board..

That said a SL-R would fit your bill as long as you went long enough. Atleast the 158...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

not intended to hijack the thread but my question is somewhat pertaining to riding on ice coast...

isnt it better to ride a board with magna traction?esp when you wana go fast?

is there any board out there with rocker and mtx?
________
Vapir One Vaporizer

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 08:48 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

sold on the 158! I'll probably be ordering the board within the next week. If anyone has any other useful feedback (positive or negative), i' d love to hear it before this time next week.

thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Patrickadizzle

I have heard nothing but good things from that board, it's been talked about MANY times on this forum so if you want more input just do a search
Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3iiipu View Post
not intended to hijack the thread but my question is somewhat pertaining to riding on ice coast...

isnt it better to ride a board with magna traction?esp when you wana go fast?

is there any board out there with rocker and mtx?
While MTX and Never Summer's Vario-Grip are two different technologies...they are both attempting to do the same thing...and more or less do. In terms of actual functionality Vario Grip is NS's version of MTX(Mervin owns that patent)...they just do it differently.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks to everyone for the help with all my questions / threads in the last week. I went from not looking at boards in 5 years, to having a solid understanding of today's new snowboard tech. I'll be keeping my '03 freeride board, but look forward to experimenting with the sl-r ! I'll be ordering the 2010 model, 158cm, with the neon green base. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures (though it seems there are probably plenty of pictures around of this board).

thanks all!
Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just a word of warning.

Dont wait too long, or you wont be able to find one just like last year.