User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going crazy

Hello Snowboarders,

I thought that by reading about snowboards I can have a better idea on what snowboard to buy. The more I read, the more things gets complicated. So many boards, various cambers, rockers, flex and when you read the reviews: all are good, all are perfect but and this but that seems more of a marketing but rather than a technical one.

Now my question:
I am searching for a board that I can use on the slopes and sometimes for powder. Park isn't my thing, but small jumps and playing belong to snowboarding.

Boards I find interesting:
Ride Alter Ego
Arbor element or sin nombre

Bindings:
Malavita or Targa.

I would appreciate your help in finding the right board!
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
You are no longer going crazy...you have arrived at crazy town...welcome!

As for your question...the question is...what kind of terrain, snow conditions and climate/local?

As for your search for the grail board...there are many and you must choose wisely.

The quiver answers all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:44 AM
The Swiss Miss

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
You are no longer going crazy...you have arrived at crazy town...welcome!

The quiver answers all.
Welcome OP.
And as Wrath already indicates... beware of the threads here... you may end up buying (too) many boards cos the collector crazyness is contagious

Give some more information abt the specific purpose of the deck, terrain, experience, what have you ridden so far, which feature in that board have you liked, which not.... The more specific you are, the better the recommendation you get. Right now we just know that you want some kind of all mtn or maybe freeride board (you've probably only filtered out 500 decks with that but still 1000 are left)

"Yeah... no, that's not clumsiness, that's just being topographically challenged" ~ Noreaster

Last edited by neni; 11-17-2015 at 06:47 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Oh mamma

as for the terrain. groomed and sometime in powder.

Oh yeah, there are a lot of boards
and my problem is that I have read a lot about boards and now it feels as if there is no perfect board and you need to a board for each condition/terrain/climate....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 AM
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezix View Post
Oh yeah, there are a lot of boards
and my problem is that I have read a lot about boards and now it feels as if there is no perfect board and you need to a board for each condition/terrain/climate....
Well... if you want the perfect board, then you will end up with a quiver cos no board will be perfect in various conditions/purposes. However, if you ride pretty constant terrain/style, there sure is a one quiver board which does all what you want +/- well.

But it matters if you ride in rather icy conditions vs predominantly soft snow (determines the edge profile and length); are you the carve n bomb type or rather the playful hit every bumb mock around type of rider or mainly just cruising the slopes (gives an idea on suitable profile n flex)? You're located at a 300ft hill or at a mtn? Riding twice a year or 100days? Powder...? Uhmm... What type of pow? Steep? How often? Are you facing neck deep pow or just dustings? Venturing SC/BC or just bit left n right of groomers? Fluffy light pow or rather heavy dense? (this will help to find out if a common all mtn board will suffice or if you "need" anything more pow specific)

"Yeah... no, that's not clumsiness, that's just being topographically challenged" ~ Noreaster

Last edited by neni; 11-17-2015 at 07:00 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
What are you currently riding? Do you like to charge the mountain and bomb runs or are you riding the mountain like a park sidehits, dipping into trees, buttering, long carves?

What area geographically will you mostly be riding in?

What is your experience level (don't say I'm advance or intermediate that is very subjective) how many seasons, how many days a season have you been recently and in what conditions do you have experience?

These are all good questions for us to get you looking in the right direction there is a million boards that fit your original description help us narrow it down a little bit

From the boards you mentioned I have not ridden either so I would not be able to give you great advice on those but here are some that seem to fit the aggressive all mountain/freeride that you are going for based off boards I have ridden:

Never Summer Chairman
Never Summer West
Rossignol Angus Magtek
Jones Flagship

Once again narrow it down a little bit and we may be able to assist you better but All Mountain/Freeride and your not really venturing into the park these boards would fit the bill
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

First of all, thank you for your answers.

Now I am riding a Rome garage rocker (won it while searching for a board, so more than ok ) Before this one I had a Ride but I do not remember the name (prophet, prophecy,?!) It was stiffer and more stable than the Rome I have now.

I think I ride with an all mountain style. I like to charge the mountain and when there is fresh snow, I cruise outside the runs. Park and rail aren't really my thing. I live in Germany now, so I go to the Alps and I ride about 25- 35 days/season.
The thing is that I've never cared about what board I had, I was just happy to ride now I want to focus more on my riding and therefore I a looking for the right, not perfect, board.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Not quite reformed yet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezix View Post
….The more I read, the more things gets complicated. So many boards, various cambers, rockers, flex and when you read the reviews: all are good, all are perfect but and this but that seems more of a marketing but rather than a technical one….
Ahhh,.. Yeah! As far as Crazy goes,..? You dun went from "going" to "Arrived!!" Proly not going to un-complicate things very much asking for opinions here! We all like to help, but we've all got different ideas on what makes a good ride! Sometimes we even agree to disagree!!

If you want to read some reviews where all the boards are NOT perfect? Try the Angry Snowboarder website!

You can search for reviews on a specific board, or just browse! The Angry snowboarder actually rides the decks he rates, or knows the individual he asks to review a board personally! All his reviews provide detailed information on who, how and under what conditions the board was ridden, along with it's pro's/con's and what type of rider would be best suited to the deck!

The site also features some pretty rad shred flicks, industry info and satire along with plenty of other interesting and entertaining snowboard related content! Worth checking out!

You're only Young Once,.. but you can be Immature FOREVER!

Feb/Apr 2011. (27) days!
2011/12 (38) days!
2012/13 (48) days!
2013/14 (44) days!
2014/15 (00)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015/16 (28) days!

"The Older I get,.. The faster I was!!"

Last edited by chomps1211; 11-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:57 AM
The Swiss Miss

K... you can filter out some more boards Stay away from pronounced magnetraction (that edge profile may be great if one rides at the east coast of US where groomers seem to be constantly firm ice). You don't need that for the snow we have over here. It's only icy in the early mornings in spring, otherwise rather soft snow on groomers, where heavy magnetraction is a disadvantage (cuts too deep into the snow and slows you down while carving). A mellow magne is fine tho.

Considering profile: look into RCR or CRC; both will work, really depends on your preference. I wouldn't go pure camber cos they would be less fun in pow; pow here can be heavy so a rockered nose from CRC/RCR will make it way more fun to hit the stashes.

If you want to optimize the charging part (ride fast, carve aggressively), check out freeride decks or stiffer all mtn boards. If you rather want a easy playful ride, check out mid stiff all mtn decks.

The guys will know specific names of such one quiver boards.

Last edited by neni; 11-17-2015 at 11:00 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Dreaming of powder
Rider wants a good snowboard
Marketing is bad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode