Effective edge - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Effective edge

I have a question on effective edges. I was looking at my board spec for Santa Cruz allstar Santa Cruz Snowboards 2009 which is targeted as an all mountain board, with a good mix of freeride and freestyle.
however looking at another board Santa Cruz Snowboards 2009 which is pure freestyle has a longer effective edge.
Any ideas why? I though all mountain boards were meant to have longer effective edges.

http://www.bukisa.com/people/G2309
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2309 View Post
I have a question on effective edges. I was looking at my board spec for Santa Cruz allstar Santa Cruz Snowboards 2009 which is targeted as an all mountain board, with a good mix of freeride and freestyle.
however looking at another board Santa Cruz Snowboards 2009 which is pure freestyle has a longer effective edge.
Any ideas why? I though all mountain boards were meant to have longer effective edges.

Ill leave that question up to Snowolf...

Snowolf, any comments please??
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i cant say for sure but my guess would be because people who ride park like to ride as short of a board as possible and a longer effective edge would make more like a board thats a little longer then it really is. just a guess though i could be completely off.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
eternalsnow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2309 View Post
I take it you're looking at the 154s for comparison? Did you get around to checking the tip and tail length? Note that your first link - red board - has a tip length of 208, 188 tail. Second link - blue board - 180 on both, as it's a twin. Also note the radial sidecut of the directional, and bi-radial sidecut of the twin.

Bottom line, the effective edge is dependent on tip and tail lengths. In this case, the tip and tail of the twin are shorter than the directional (which seems to go against the concept of a longer tip and tail on a freestyle board to aid in presses). Result: longer effective edge on the twin (blue board).
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
i cant say for sure but my guess would be because people who ride park like to ride as short of a board as possible and a longer effective edge would make more like a board thats a little longer then it really is. just a guess though i could be completely off.
This is true of a lot of park boards. They reduce the rounded bit of nose and tail to fit as much effective edge between the tips so riders can drop a few cm for manuverability. All mountain boards have a more gradual rise to the tips that requires a longer bit of board at either end. The point of this, I believe, is to effect the float of the board on softer all mountain stuff. A sharp degree of lift on the nose and tail of a park board can cause your board to sink in pow more than the all mountains.

I recommend buying a board for what you plan to ride. The companies have done the math for you in terms of geometry.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

usually, the point of a longer effective edge is so you can downsize the board, but still have it ride like a longer board.
i know the k2 www has a long effective edge so the board is downsized 3-5cm but it rides like its 3-5 cm longer.
usually people wanna downsize their park boards but not lose the stability.
the longer effective edge is the compromise.
alex is w0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the infor guys, i wasn't expecting so many responses so quickly. I've been reading up on a lot of snowboard tech, so this was useful. I find it interesting.I have the 158 i prefer off piste naural kicks and trees so will be fun when I get to use it.
Has anyone used these boards?

http://www.bukisa.com/people/G2309
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex is w0rd View Post
usually, the point of a longer effective edge is so you can downsize the board, but still have it ride like a longer board.
i know the k2 www has a long effective edge so the board is downsized 3-5cm but it rides like its 3-5 cm longer.
usually people wanna downsize their park boards but not lose the stability.
the longer effective edge is the compromise.
hmm very interesting. i never knew that. i always wondered how some guys on park boards ride so fast with so much stability even though their boards r downsized.

thnx alex