Freeride on freestyle? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
CAtoNC

Default Freeride on freestyle?

I'm new to snowboarding, told the sales guy i was looking for a good all mountain board to learn on and he sold me a '09 burton blunt. Got a descent deal ($160), but got home and immediately found out that he sold me a freestyle board. Should I keep it or return it? Can it be used as a freeride board as well if I'm just learning? I'd like to hit the park some eventually, but want to get comfortable on the mountain first. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoNC View Post
I'm new to snowboarding, told the sales guy i was looking for a good all mountain board to learn on and he sold me a '09 burton blunt. Got a descent deal ($160), but got home and immediately found out that he sold me a freestyle board. Should I keep it or return it? Can it be used as a freeride board as well if I'm just learning? I'd like to hit the park some eventually, but want to get comfortable on the mountain first. Any suggestions?
It should be just fine if you're learning. It's an entry level freestyle board. Just detune the tips, don't file down the entire perimeter of the edge (doing so is a normal thing for park rats), and you'll be fine.

The shop guy only had half an idea what he was talking about and was probably just a Burton whore, but you got lucky. Next time do your own research and know what you want before you even step into the shop, and don't let any non-wonder idiot shop kid change your mind.

You're going to want more board after this season (end of season sales kick ass), but you got a good deal on a decent board that will serve you well for learning.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 10-30-2009 at 07:13 AM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had the 08 Blunt in a 155, then I sold it to my friend and been kicking my own ass ever since. That board is great, it's not too stiff, just the right amount of soft, VERY forgiving and playful, I had a lot of fun with that board. And if you're just learning the sport I think it will be a great to you. It's made to be durable so once you get comfortable and wish to expand your quiver, it could become your jib/street stick but it shouldn't disappoint out of the park either.
Ruskiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think it's better for a beginner to start on a softer freestyle deck. I wish I had.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup, as everyone has already said, keep the board. It's simply more versatile than getting a pure freeride board, too.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah if you really learn how to go fast on a freestyle board then you will REALLY fly when you get on a dedicated freeride board. So start learning on the blunt
stoepstyle is offline   Reply With Quote