Moving towards freeriding/big moutnain - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moving towards freeriding/big moutnain

Hi everyone,

I've been snowboarding for 5 years now and am pretty confident in my abilities. However most of my riding has been at a smaller local resort so i have always had a more park oriented setup: currently a 06 151 NS evo, t9 mfm pro, and very worn in 32 304's size 8.5. I've recently been going to mammoth more often and now want a new setup for backcountry, chutes, speed, and doing sweeping carves. I still do want something that I can occasionally do park riding with but wouldn't mind forgoing it if the payoff is good as I can always switch to my park board.

I don't really know relatively how a flexy setup compares to a stiff one. I did demo a 159 or 161(don't remember) libtech trx last season and liked the added stability, but it felt very slugish esp for weaving through trees. I'm sure it was because to board was too long for me as I weigh around 150. I'm currently looking at the neversummer sl, heritage, or primier. How much better performace would a premier have freeriding compare to an all mountain board like the sl? Also what size would you recommend?

Lasty, I'm considering getting the 32 primes and rome targas as they have stiffness adjustments that I can change depending on where I'm riding. Any recommendations would be helpful and sorry for the numerous questions. Thanks
Dankul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
RallyBowls

do you do switch riding?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Keep your park setup and buy a Premier F1-R with some targas or arsenals and some boots that arnt flexed out. You will be soo set for anything. And when you want to shred the park or its a crappy snow day you still with have your good park setup.

The targas are really nice because they work in many scenarios with their stiffness adjustments. I have 1 pair of rome targas that I switch between my rock board (GNU Street Series), my all mountain board (Never Summer Legacy-R) and my park board (DC PBJ). Then my gnar freeride setup I have bent metal step ins (not really step ins just the name) on a Never summer Titan.

Last edited by stoepstyle; 10-31-2009 at 06:53 PM.
stoepstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBowls View Post
do you do switch riding?
Yes,but i wouldn't mind sacrificing that so much either if a very directional board is recommended.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
RallyBowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankul View Post
Yes,but i wouldn't mind sacrificing that so much either if a very directional board is recommended.
the beautiful thing about modern-day technology is that you can get a twin-directional board that rides just as well in powder as a directional, yet it won't punish you for riding switch.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I've decided on getting a premier and will be ordering soon. Kinda wish i could demo it first but there isn't any shops around here that does that. I'm actually around 155lbs now and wanted your recommendation on whether to get a 157 or 159 cm. I have a lean towards smaller boards since i've only owned park boards and I heard that with rc boards, that its okay to size down. However, since I already have a park board, should I get a 159 instead? Would the added flex or size make a big different?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

157 will do you right. Targas and Primes are solid too. I've been on the 32 warranty team for a couple years but the primes i got last year are built way better then previous years.

the trs would feel sluggish if mounted with sloppy boots and flexible binders. Also a bigger stiffer board will always require more effort to turn, after a day or two you will adjust and have no problem.