Loveland today (awesome!) and question re: board length... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Colo Springs E

Default Loveland today (awesome!) and question re: board length...

Hi everyone, so I had my very first "real" day of boarding today at Loveland and had a really good time. I say "real" as I had only just picked up boarding late last season during a lesson (I had taken two previous lessons when I lived in Utah about 10 years ago and I totally sucked at boarding so gave up).

Anyway... about a month or two I posted that I had picked up a Burton entry-level "Clash" 145 board. I'm 5'6" and weigh 160. I was advised by many here that I should've gone much longer, maybe 155-160 or so.

So today I had what I felt was a pretty good day of boarding--I definitely felt in control most of the day--and my only concern was sometimes if I'm either going pretty much straight downhill or facing the hill as I'm carving across the mountain... it felt too fast. I realize this should "slow down" for me as I get better feel and balance.

I'm not saying this to pick a fight, just genuinely curious... what would I gain right now from a longer board? I can always get a longer board after this season (and give this one to my circus short wife ) but I felt really comfortable on this pretty short board today.

Is it all just personal preference, don't worry about the charts on the internet say?

I will say, my toes do drape a little over the board, but it didn't create any issues for me today. As I get more aggressive, will this potentially be an issue? (I'd estimate they drape about 1" over the edge, but the toe of my boot sort of flips up so it's not like it's flush against the board, if that makes sense?)

Thanks to all of you for your input. I had a flippin' blast today! I'm 46 and had been skiing about 10 years and am pretty okay at it... boarding really humbled me, but now that I feel I'm picking it up I am totally digging it!

By the way, Loveland was awesome today--I've never been this early in the season, but the snow wasn't bad at all and the weather was... PERFECT.

-Eric

Last edited by Colo Springs E; 10-31-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you would gain alot, i love short boards but that is way too short. i ride a 152 at 175 lbs and wouldnt go shorter, and if you are ever blessed with a pow day you will hate your life on a 145...look for a 154ish at your size for an all mt board.

and you definetly need a wider board as well, 1" is no good. doesnt mean you need a "wide" board, just a wider one. what size boots?
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was up at Loveland today also. Conditions were insanely good for this early in the season. It was pretty damn crowded, but I'm assuming that will pass after next weekend since Copper & Keystone both open up on the 6th.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
RallyBowls

The online board charts are a general reference chart which you can rely on to choose a board length that will satisfy most riders' preferences of stability and manuverbility. A longer board offers far more float in powder, better edge hold and overall stability. A shorter board alternately makes for quicker manuvering and is often the best friend of the typical park or rail junkee.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

i am ur size...
5'6" 165lb ish and i ride a 154 as my all mountain stick...

like previously mentioned....shorter boards are good for park use coz u can maneuver the board easier...
but ud want a longer board to be stable when ur cruising at high speed...and it helps with keeping ur board floating on powder days.

also with a longer board, the waist might compensate the over extend toe unless u wear size 12 or bigger then ud need a wide board.
________
Gizele cam

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 08:52 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Colo Springs E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
you would gain alot, i love short boards but that is way too short. i ride a 152 at 175 lbs and wouldnt go shorter, and if you are ever blessed with a pow day you will hate your life on a 145...look for a 154ish at your size for an all mt board.

and you definetly need a wider board as well, 1" is no good. doesnt mean you need a "wide" board, just a wider one. what size boots?
You ride a 7cm longer board than me and weigh 15 more pounds... and yet you tell me I need a 154? No disrespect, but not sure you come across as real credible.

WHAT exactly would I gain? A lot?? What the hell is that??

I wear a size 9 boot.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
I definitely felt in control most of the day--and my only concern was sometimes if I'm either going pretty much straight downhill or facing the hill as I'm carving across the mountain... it felt too fast. I realize this should "slow down" for me as I get better feel and balance.
Ok so this feeling you explain is exactly what you get for the short board. 145 is really short. That would be a good board for you to play around on but when the real terrain opens in CO take that feeling x10 for you being green. You will probably progress faster on a more stable board as well.

Glad to see everyone shredding.... Milo and I slayed the Basin today! It was fantastic...Except for the line!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Colo Springs E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
I was up at Loveland today also. Conditions were insanely good for this early in the season. It was pretty damn crowded, but I'm assuming that will pass after next weekend since Copper & Keystone both open up on the 6th.
Wasn't it nice? Maybe even a little TOO warm in the afternoon, sweet! Snow wasn't in bad shape at all, especially early.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ugh this thread is like hell for anyone outside of colorado!, I HATE ALL OF YOU COLORODIANS!
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
Wasn't it nice? Maybe even a little TOO warm in the afternoon, sweet! Snow wasn't in bad shape at all, especially early.
I agree - it was a bit too warm. I was riding in a Gore-tex shell and a tee shirt, and while standing in line, I was hot. It reminded me of spring conditions minus the slush snow and empty lift lines.

IMO, at your height/weight, a 152 would be a great length for an all mountain board. You will be fine on the 145 for a while, but eventually, you will want to get a longer board so you are more stable at speed.

Last edited by Gnarly; 10-31-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote