07 Ride Control VS new ride antic - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 07 Ride Control VS new ride antic

I had been riding the control for the last 3 seasons and decided it was time to upgrade. The people at Dog funk said that the antic would be a good jump. They said tricks could done on the board and it would handle speed better than the control. I know it kind of silly to ask now since already have the board, but was just curious to what people here thought. Did I upgrade? The sales person I talked with seemed to be pretty enthused about the antic. I also bought some Flow NXT AT bindings. What do you think?

I guess I will know once I get to ride the thing. Winter can't get here soon enough.
kysnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysnowboarder View Post
I had been riding the control for the last 3 seasons and decided it was time to upgrade. The people at Dog funk said that the antic would be a good jump. They said tricks could done on the board and it would handle speed better than the control. I know it kind of silly to ask now since already have the board, but was just curious to what people here thought. Did I upgrade? The sales person I talked with seemed to be pretty enthused about the antic. I also bought some Flow NXT AT bindings. What do you think?

I guess I will know once I get to ride the thing. Winter can't get here soon enough.
Its their job to sound hyped and make you want to buy it.
ifresh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I defiantly understand Sales guys are out to make a sale. I told the guy upfront that I was ready to buy, but I wanted something that was an upgrade. I wanted something that would be something I could do tricks on once I was ready to start trying that aspect of the sport out. The antic was actually cheaper than the first board I brought to his attention (it was rome) When he recommended a ride I reminded him that I was looking to upgrade. He assured me that in his 13 years of snowboarding experience ride boards had performed well and that this board was a step up from the control.

I have done some of my own research. I know doing this after making the purchase is well ass backwards! I can be impulsive sometimes
STYLE: ATV
The antic
SHAPE: Twinish
SIDECUT: Quadratic
STANCE: 3/4" Setback
Base Sintered, 4000

Control
STYLE: Foundation
SHAPE: Directional
SIDECUT: Radial
STANCE: 1" Setback
Base - Extruded, (I think) 1500

Looks like I got a different board I'm not sure of the style called foundation for the ride control, but I suspect it means entry level. The ATV on the antic I assumes means All Terrian... For the shape I am assuming that Twin means I can go either direction on the Antic and have good control, versus the control is meant to be ridden in on direction. For the side cut radial seems to be the old standard and the quadratic is suppose to make the board turn harder the harder you dig down into the snow (my interupation of a thread I found on here, feel free to correct me if I am wrong) I was kind of surprised that the stance set back would be more pronuced on the control than the antic, if I remember correctly the further the set back the better the board is at steeps, but the down side is it is a little harder to turn. Seems that the Antic will be easier to turn if I am understanding all of this correctly. Does that mean it will be harder to control at speed? The base is sintered which sounds like that is what I wanted, it will hold more wax on the board which should help with speed. I assuming that the base of the control is extruded since ride website does not say that is sintered on their website, with the antic they listed as sintered. If control is extruded this could be one of the the biggest differences between the two boards (if I am understanding everything that I read correctly) The side cut being different is also a big deal I think.

The boards are both 151cm. I asked the sales person if I should go with longer and he recommended I stick with current 151cm. Based on size guide and my wieght I could of gone with a longer board.

Antic Specs
http://ridesnowboards.com/images/pro...pecs_antic.jpg

Control Specs
http://ridesnowboards.com/images/pro...cs_control.jpg

As far as I can tell this board is a step from what I had. Based on the specs I have listed above and the features what do you all think, will the board be easier to control at speed and is it something I can do tricks on in the park once I am ready for that?

Last edited by kysnowboarder; 11-01-2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: left a few key words out.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well it's definately an upgrade/different. Don't worry you'll have fun.

This isn't a park snowboard, but you can go in the park on anysnowboard.

If you just cruise through and go on a rail sometimes or hit a jump you'll be good

You'll be good at speed.

How much $ was it if you don't mind me asking
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

I paid full retail, $399 at Dogfunk. It is 2010. If you are not too picky about size you can find the 09's being blown out for under $250. The nxt at bindings I got for 50% off from backcountry, so I figured I wouldn't fret too much of the full retial on the board.

The speed thing is big deal. With the control I felt like it was a little unstable at speed. For most of last season I blamed myself and just figured I needed to get better at speed, but after reading some other reviews of the control, I started wondering if I was ready for and upgraded board. I'm sure my technique was part of the problem, but I am hoping having a new board will help to. You think this board will help with that over the control, assuming my technique is good?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've been on a cheap snowboard before that wobbled at high speed. Ride is a good company and that's not a really low end board and it's atv so you should be good. Skill helps also Don't worry

Have fun
Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default "Fun" That hardly describes the time I am going to have on the snowboard this year

I have high expectations for this season. I am in way better shape than I was last season (I thank the 2000 plus miles I put on mountain bike this year for that) I have a new set up that seems to be improvement over the old set up. Last year I felt like my skills vastly improved. By the end of last season I had become comfortable on the steeps and also got the point to riding on edges wasn't such a work out, I became better at using my hips more instead of my calf muscles. This of course means more runs were possible before I tired out.

I'm really stoked about this season, and the time I am going to have. Fun just doesn't do it justice. I can't wait to get out there and rip some hills/mountains. Thanks for tying to keep me on track though. I can get burried in this technical stuff sometimes.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Finally got out and road on the new set up. The new board is defiantly an improvement. Defiantly felt more stable at speed. Had some difficulty moving from heal to toe, but it was the first ride of the season, so I'm sure I will iron out that problem in no time.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
LittleG

Sweeet, thats good to hear. I just bought a 2010 Antic a month ago and I'm still waiting to get out >.<
Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would have spent a bit more and gotten a machete, or a bit less and gotten a crush instead.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote