Forum Raider/Recon vs. Ride Fleetwood - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Forum Raider/Recon vs. Ride Fleetwood

I'm looking for a new board, to be used primarily for Freeride. No freestyle at all.
I've narrowed it down to:

1) Forum Raider
2) Forum Recon
3) Ride Fleetwood

From the vague descriptions and reviews of the Raider and Recon, I can't tell much difference. The main differences that I have found are that the Fleetwood is slightly on the heavy side and some say it is "too stiff". On the other hand some say that the Recon is "too soft, heavy, slow, and sluggish". Couldn't find too much on the Raider. Anyone have any advice from personal experience with these boards?

I'm 5'10, 160lbs, size 11 boot, and a beginner looking only to freeride and get the fundamentals down this season. I'm kind of concerned about toe drag, so I am looking to get the wide versions of the Raider/Recon...(Fleetwood comes only in wide to my knowledge.)

Is there one of these 3 that would be particularly better (quality, function, etc.) for me?
(I just picked up a set of Rome Arsenal bindings.)

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by RiceyHot; 11-02-2009 at 07:20 PM.
RiceyHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can't comment on the other two boards, but I bought an older model recon as my first snowboard after renting for many seasons.
It does tend to be a little heavy but it allowed me to progress all over the mountain and into the park.
I still feel confident riding it all over the mountain at any speed and although it is not as flexible as my current freestyle board I could butter fine on it and press on it if hitting up the park is your thing.
GC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Cool, thanks for the info.
I'm not too concerned about it being too stiff since all I want to do is freeride.
Can it (Recon) be too stiff to the point that it would be not forgiving enough for a new rider?
I'm not completely brand new...but I def stil have a lot to learn.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

The difference between the Raider and the Recon is flex and weight. The Raider has more Fiberglass or Quadrax vs. the Recon's Bi-ax and the Raider has a lighter core. (hence the extra cost) I would not say that the Raider would be too stiff for your experience.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Raider is a wide board I believe. The Recon is a entry level and softer board, easy to turn etc.
milner_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I rode the Fleetwood last year and loved it but it was a bit heavy and seemed pretty stiff. It was solid underfoot, and very stable at any speed but took some time to get used to. It got stolen out of my garage over the summer so I had to buy a different board for this year or I'd be riding it again. I liked it for what it was, but it was only my second board so I don't have much to compare it to.
lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info guys.
I'm leaning towards the Raider or the Recon.
I haven't really decided yet if I want to get a wide board.
Being a size 11 sucks since it puts me right at that thresh hold of normal/wide boards.
I'll probably end up going with the Raider if I decide I want wide and the Recon if I stick with standard.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milner_7 View Post
The Raider is a wide board I believe. The Recon is a entry level and softer board, easy to turn etc.
I think I'm going to stick with a regular width board.
I'm probably gonna pick up the Recon.
I did notice that the Recon's has a flex rating of "4".
This is kind of on the soft end of the scale...I'm assuming because it is designed as an entry level board that is forgiving enough for beginners.

Would I have issues holding a good edge while carving with this board due to its softness?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceyHot View Post
I did notice that the Recon's has a flex rating of "4".
This is kind of on the soft end of the scale...I'm assuming because it is designed as an entry level board that is forgiving enough for beginners. Would I have issues holding a good edge while carving with this board due to its softness?
Maybe if that's what you're into. My thoughts on Bi-ax glass vs. a tri-ax or quadrax are...
1) Bi-ax likes to turn and in the worst case scenario is that when you're hauling ass and need to shut it down, it can feel wishy washy on edge.
2) tri-ax or quadrax has power/pop under foot, but some riders feel "locked" on edge and they don't like it.

Personally I'd get over the locked feeling on edge and "retract" or pick up the board when I need to redirect it. I'd rather have the stability on a hard edge than not have it. (I'm 208 lbs.)
Old 11-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I saw last years recon on brociety or one of the other discount sites at badgerscanner a day or two ago.
If you are still leaning towards it and keep checking the site you can get a great deal on it.
GC24 is offline   Reply With Quote