Equipment Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nave

Question Equipment Help

Looking to buy a new board. I'm 6'1" with size 11 boots, should I be buying a wide or a normal board?

Also I have about $700 to spend on my new board so I would appreciate any recommendations. I would like something for all-mountain that would still be good to use in the park. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've never ridden a wide board, but I know some two guys that do and they both tell people not to get a wide board unless you have to. One wears a size 13 and the other a 12 (I think). I think you'll be safe on a normal width board, but I guess it depends on the board. You might have to adjust your stance angle to make it work.

Got any boards in mind? wide or otherwise
Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sook View Post
I've never ridden a wide board, but I know some two guys that do and they both tell people not to get a wide board unless you have to. One wears a size 13 and the other a 12 (I think). I think you'll be safe on a normal width board, but I guess it depends on the board. You might have to adjust your stance angle to make it work.

Got any boards in mind? wide or otherwise
Ok thanks. I was thinking of the Burton Custom but unfortunately my bindings won't work with "the channel".... So maybe something sort of like that. I'm kinda new to snowboarding so I don't really know what is out there.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave View Post
Looking to buy a new board. I'm 6'1" with size 11 boots, should I be buying a wide or a normal board?

Also I have about $700 to spend on my new board so I would appreciate any recommendations. I would like something for all-mountain that would still be good to use in the park. Thanks.
Hi Nave,

Please let us know your weight as well. It is not possible to correctly size a board without knowing the rider's weight.

Let us know and we will al get you some better info.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

for size 11, if u have a low profile boot...u can rock a normal board. I wear a 10.5 and have no problem with overhang.
________
GLASS PIPES

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 08:53 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wearing a size 11, I really doubt you need a wide board.... Depending on the width of the board, and the height of the bindings will play a factor, but I really doubt any setup would require a wide with size 11's. I have size 14's and there's certain boards that I could ride without it being a wide.... I do own Ride NRc bindings though, and they have a bit of height to them.

Just a blind shot but I would recommend a few different boards to you based upon the amount of park/all mountain you want.

Never Summer Evo if you want to ride more park then all mountain
Never Summer SL-R if you want to ride more all mountain then park

Bataleon Goliath if you want to ride more park then all mountain
Bataleon The Jam if you want to ride more all mountain then park

Size depends.... Probably a 155-158ish unless your a fatty.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Nave,

Please let us know your weight as well. It is not possible to correctly size a board without knowing the rider's weight.

Let us know and we will al get you some better info.
Ok sure, I'm about 155 lbs.

And thanks for the help everyone
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
neddyDH

that light i would stay away from a wide board - especially if you find a boot with a amaller boot imprint. i'd recommend a ride machete - although i am a self admitted ride whore so take it for what you will....
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Agreed, it doesn't sound like you need a wide board. If you are really worried, narrow your search down to a few boards based on your riding style, then take your boot and binding to your local boardshop and try them on for size to check toe/heel overhang. I'm partial to Ride myself too, but the boards milo suggested are all great sticks. I'm actually eyeballing a NeverSummer Evo-R or a Ride DH2 before the season really gets going.

Last edited by sook; 11-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
neddyDH

^^^^
have you seen the ltd machetes? GoggleTan wised me up to ride's newcomer - a machete with pop sticks and membrane!! like a machete/dh2 hybrid....droool...

oh and size wise...go with a 158 - i'm 6'0 165 and i'm on a 158 machete/157 society/159 dh (ride whore, i told you)