Multiple waxings - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Multiple waxings

Question about multiple waxes

I've read suggestions about multiple wax layers for especially dry bases, or when you're about to go out on harsh snow, or even for the latest NS bases when new.

Wax on, scrape, wax on, scrape, wax on, and scrape.....

What does it accomplish?

If it's to get the wax deeper into the pores, couldn't I just put it on hot, cool, iron, cool, iron, and cool before one scrape?

If it's for extra thickness, what's keeping me from scraping off just as much with the second coat scraping as I did with the first? I'm using the same scraper with the same elbow grease.

Is it for some other reason?

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well...brazilian... wait... you mean snowboard waxing.

I get your point actually. Makes sense, why scrape it off the first few times...

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

because the wax you scrape off isn't always clean

something like that

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
AAA

If you're thorough in melting all the wax into the base, I don't see what benefit multiple waxings do. The base will absorb what it absorbs on the first hot wax, so why repeat unless the base is dirty and you want to do a hot wax/hot scrape first to pull out the gunk, beyond what normal brushing might achieve? On another note, I like to eek as much speed an performance out of my boards as I can, so I wax nearly every time out.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
because the wax you scrape off isn't always clean

something like that
I don't follow.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

ya i never understood it either, especially with new boards unless your wanting to pull the factory wax off. With my new custom x i just melted a good layer of wax on and then let it cool and then melted it again and got the base nice and warm while doing it (just going back and forth melting the wax for like 5 min) so it would absorb the most wax it possibly could and then let it cool and repeated once more and then scraped... pretty much the exact process you described it your first post. I don't see how putting new wax on and scaping it off again multiple times would acomplish anything more than this.
Lyndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
neddyDH

i guess i'm sorta in the same boat as yall.....and am curious to know why you'd go through all the trouble (esp. on a new board) if you just do one solid coat the first time. on both new sticks i got for this year i just laid down a solid base of bluebird, let it sit overnight, and went nuts with the scraper, brush and cork-- i never really saw the point to doing this again and again for a new board.....
Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I remember my dad talking about a waxing course he went to. Supposedly proffesional skiers and snowboarders will wax boards or skis over 3 times to get what they want. I honestly think that it's all about absorption.
If you heat and cool heat and cool, maybe the heated wax slightly changes after being heated?

Either way if I feel that my baby is dry, il give her 2 wax jobs. A soft wax to really get'er in deep and then one for the temperature of the riding im doing. Essentially it might make more of a speed difference, but only a racer might need it.
YanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I thought about that too... All wax is soft under the iron. I prefer a hard wax here on the Ice Coast, the boiler plate sheets of ice here really do a number on your base.

I'm not opposed to the idea of multiple waxings, just trying to figure out a logical benefit.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

When I was talking with some guys at Mt Hood during Windells sessions I asked this and they mentioned the reason the first coat is scraped off is to get rid as much dirt or crap that is on the base from the last time it was used. This is because the wax from last time is usually always stripped off by the end of the day or most of it anyhow. So they wax it once, let it absorb, scrape it clean to get rid of the crap, then put the wax on you plan to use for the day.

Usually I apply 2 coats of wax for the East coast without scraping between them, only a few scrapes at the end to get it somewhat smooth although not as much effort as SnoWolf puts into it unless perhaps it's a perfect powder day which is not often over here.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote