When to upgrade - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When to upgrade

I bought a board last season, and only have 1 season of riding under my belt. I can do all the basic riding skills, carving, etc. When it comes up ramps and stuff I can go off them and usually land. The most I have done is go off a ramp and grab the back of my board. Besides that I was just focusing on technique and getting the basics down.

This season I want to progress to actually jumps and grinds. Making sure I get ollies and all the other basic tricks down well. The gear I am using now is a k2 anagram board and k2 cinch bindings.

Not saying I need a new board now but, when do you decide or what do you base it off of, when you think it is time to get a new board? Or when would you think that maybe the board I have now might limit me or a new board would make it easier for certain other things.
Nmbr1Ballr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Starting last season with all new gear, and have already bought all new gear for this year.

My stuff last year would have been fine, but after a lot of research, I just knew I wanted new stuff with new tech. Last year I purchased in the second store I went to, and it's not that I didn't like it, I did, but yeah, had to go out and get new stuff..

Anyway, excited about my new Legacy R and Ride nRCs. . .
AdamBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

you'll be able to do anything and everything with the board you have now. I guess the question is, is there a specific feature that you're looking for? (softer, longer, lighter, rocker).

The last board I got was in 2003. Great board, but I'm bored with it now so I'm getting a never summer which has the new rocker tech i'd like to try out.

So, i'd probably say get a new board if:
you're bored with the deck you have now
you have an eye on a particular feature you want to try out
you have the money to burn

I'm sure your current deck has plenty of use in it though. if a pro borrowed your board, he'd be able to do all the same tricks he could do on his own board more or less. But if you have the itch for something new and you got the money, go for it!
lambo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

My only advice is; don't buy a new snowboard if your rent is due.
CheckMySteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
skim milk

just buy a new board when you feel that the one that you have is limiting your progression

Last year i fell in love with the park, especially jibbing, but i realized that my board was to stiff for jibbing so i decided to get a new one this year (2009 k2 www in case you were wondering)
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've have retired three boards in the past 8 seasons and each time I get a new board, it is more out of impulse than necessity. Like people have said, you only NEED a new board if your current one is hindering your progression, you're looking to change you focus on the mountain or if there is base/edge damage to your current one. For me though, I know that its a collection as well as a sport.

I'm shopping for a new one this year so I can get out of the park so at least I have a semi-legit reason.