just getting into boarding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
adam805

Default just getting into boarding

Hey all,

So my girl and i have decided to take up snowboarding. Her and i both surf and i used to skate board. but neither of those require gear other than a board and wet suit if needed. my question is what are some decent brands? Also how are most things supposed to fit? very snug or just snug and so on? If anyone can be of assistance that would be totally rad. thanks

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There are a ton of decent brands out in the market today. Some which quickly come to mind are NeverSummer, Bataleon, K2, Rome, Ride and even Burton. In terms of clothing fit, that's up to you and your style so anything from tight to hanging-off-your-ankles loose can work . However, one of the key aspects when it comes to fit are the boots. Spend the money here to get something that fits right otherwise your day can be ruined pretty quickly. Here's a link for info on boot fitting:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...ce-guides.html

Here's some more general info for beginners:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...ease-read.html

Go through the links and post up any additional questions you have. This is a good board and people are really helpful.

BTW, welcome
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Boots boots boots boots boots boots boots boots.

If you're most expensive piece of startup equipment isn't your boots, then you're doing it wrong.

Once you KNOW you want to buy your own equipment go to a real store with a REAL bootfitter. Lay down the money (yes, you'll pay full retail, but you'll also have a place to go if your boots don't feel right) and get the ones that are the most comfortable.

Do NOT go to a Zumies or some place with a half-stoned kid who just wants to sell you Burton gear. Look up bootfitters in your area in the yellow pages. If they are real, their wall should be plastered in 'Thank you for making the pain go away' letters from customers.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post

If you're most expensive piece of startup equipment isn't your boots, then you're doing it wrong.

Once you KNOW you want to buy your own equipment go to a real store with a REAL bootfitter. Lay down the money (yes, you'll pay full retail, but you'll also have a place to go if your boots don't feel right) and get the ones that are the most comfortable.

Do NOT go to a Zumies or some place with a half-stoned kid who just wants to sell you Burton gear. Look up bootfitters in your area in the yellow pages. If they are real, their wall should be plastered in 'Thank you for making the pain go away' letters from customers.
What exactly do bootfitters do? I know they fit boots but how exactly do they do that?
ifresh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifresh21 View Post
What exactly do bootfitters do? I know they fit boots but how exactly do they do that?
They'll look at your feet, your arch, how wide it is, how you stand, the angles your feet are at and all that (I'd make a longer list, but I'm NOT a fitter).

Any fitter worth anything will be able to tell you what will most likely work best for you. For example, you come in and tell him you're getting pain on the sides of your feet after a run or two. He looks at your foot, has you stand up and walk around while he boserves, and tells you you've got a wide foot (an arbitrary example). He knows Salomon boots come in wide sizes and Northwave boots tend to suit wider feet better. He can tell you that Vans run a size small (I'm 14 street shoe, 13 in my Vans boots).

If you've got arch problems, he can sell you new insoles or in extreme cases, custom make an insole (which is what I have.. best $175 I've EVER spent.. except for those hookers that one time in Tijuana).

And why do you go to a fitter and spend full retail on a boot? Because he's given you his expertise, and he will stand behind his service. If you walk out of there with a boot and find it still hurts, he'll work with you to make it right.

You can have a Burton Vapor ($1500) and C10 bindings (I don't know how much those are) and their most insane $500 pair of boots...... What does it matter if your foot hurts so bad at the end of one run you have to take a break? The guy with a Lamar shit-stick and Lamar bindings who went to a boot fitter and laid down good money is taking 15 runs a day without missing a beat. Who's having more fun?

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
They'll look at your feet, your arch, how wide it is, how you stand, the angles your feet are at and all that (I'd make a longer list, but I'm NOT a fitter).

Any fitter worth anything will be able to tell you what will most likely work best for you. For example, you come in and tell him you're getting pain on the sides of your feet after a run or two. He looks at your foot, has you stand up and walk around while he boserves, and tells you you've got a wide foot (an arbitrary example). He knows Salomon boots come in wide sizes and Northwave boots tend to suit wider feet better. He can tell you that Vans run a size small (I'm 14 street shoe, 13 in my Vans boots).

If you've got arch problems, he can sell you new insoles or in extreme cases, custom make an insole (which is what I have.. best $175 I've EVER spent.. except for those hookers that one time in Tijuana).

And why do you go to a fitter and spend full retail on a boot? Because he's given you his expertise, and he will stand behind his service. If you walk out of there with a boot and find it still hurts, he'll work with you to make it right.

You can have a Burton Vapor ($1500) and C10 bindings (I don't know how much those are) and their most insane $500 pair of boots...... What does it matter if your foot hurts so bad at the end of one run you have to take a break? The guy with a Lamar shit-stick and Lamar bindings who went to a boot fitter and laid down good money is taking 15 runs a day without missing a beat. Who's having more fun?
Dude I really frikken wish I had one near me. I have a really serious arch of my foot problem.

I spent almost 300 on custom orthotics. I seriously hope they work. Im probably gonna need new boots after that as well (smaller).

Really sucks.

Did he make the insole himself? The people at the podiatrist sent a mold of my foot to a company. They should have the orthotic back soon.

Supposedly they make em just for snowboard boots - im seriously hoping they have a good amount of padding.

I don't want my boots to just have a solid piece of plastic at the bottom.
ifresh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifresh21 View Post

Did he make the insole himself? The people at the podiatrist sent a mold of my foot to a company. They should have the orthotic back soon.
Podiatrist is obviously legit. You should be okay.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
We all know that if the person in your example #1 had a Burton Method or a Palmer Platinum, they would be having more fun because they spent $2,000 on a board. I laugh at your $1,500 board example.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

Agree 100% When I started, they told me if you're on a budget, spend your cash on boots, bindings, board, in that order. If you can get deals, great, but as long as you take care of your base and edges, a crappy board won't really hinder your progress until at least your second season. A bootfitter is a great investment early on. I went to one years ago and it was a great investment and now I can buy boots on my own because I know what works, what doesn't and why.