I'm a newbie...about to cop a setup...but I need some help... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
303Boarder

Default I'm a newbie...about to cop a setup...but I need some help...

I've never been snowboarding. I've been longboarding for a few years and I'm sure I'm gonna love snowboarding so I've decided to buy gear. I'm 5'8 and weigh 140 lbs. I want an all mountain setup with eventually being able to ride park. (Hit rails, kickers, etc.) Right now I'm looking at:

Signal OG Series 155 (Marked as wide but 25.5cm)
32 Lashed Boots (Size 10)
Burton Mission Bindings (Size L)
Sessions Pals Tie Stripe Jacket (Size M)
Sessions Infantry Pants (Size S)
Dragon DX Goggles
Burton Approach Gloves

This is what I'm planning on going with since folks are saying I don't want M3 Discord/Burton Clash boards because I'll outride them if I get any good. The questions I have are...is 25.5 too wide? Should I buy a Signal board or is there something else that will suit my riding better or just as good? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

255 on a 155 would be a wide board for sure. I would suggest finding a non wide board.

Try on your boots
Those bindings will work fine for beginner to intermediate

Double check the stats on your outerwear. Make sure they are waterproof with an amount of breathability.

I won't ever buy Burton gloves again, I would suggest looking elsewhere in that category.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Boarder View Post
The questions I have are...is 25.5 too wide?
With size 10 boots, 25.5cm waist width is just fine. I wear a 10.5 boot and ride boards with a 26cm waist width and I still have a tiny bit of overhang.

My question is, why are you going to buy gear before you have even tried snowboarding? How do you know that you will like it? How do you know that you won't try it for a day or 2 and give up because it's frustrating/painful to learn?

Do yourself a favor - RENT a board/boots/bindings your 1st time up. That way if you absolutely hate it and give up after 1 day, you are only out $40 or so instead of hundreds of dollars.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
With size 10 boots, 25.5cm waist width is just fine. I wear a 10.5 boot and ride boards with a 26cm waist width and I still have a tiny bit of overhang.

My question is, why are you going to buy gear before you have even tried snowboarding? How do you know that you will like it? How do you know that you won't try it for a day or 2 and give up because it's frustrating/painful to learn?

Do yourself a favor - RENT a board/boots/bindings your 1st time up. That way if you absolutely hate it and give up after 1 day, you are only out $40 or so instead of hundreds of dollars.
If he longboards and skateboards then he will be fine. Everything I do I always commit to not giving up for a decent amount of time, so I just buy everything instead of renting/leasing etc. If you are committed to learning to snowboard, buy gear. That way you won't waste money on renting.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
303Boarder

Well I'm gettin my stuff from the-house.com and the dude I talked to on there said that the board should be listed as a mid wide board since it's only 25.5 but I just want to make sure it's not going to hurt my riding in any way like make it harder to carve or turn or anything. Are there any other boards you guys recommend? I was told the Nitro Team/Burton Deuce etc. I'm going to a shop today and I'm going to look at my boots on some boards and see how they fit. The boots I've tried on so I'm good there. I love the boots. How good are signal boards? I've had full body road rash from hitting the pavement on a longboard at 35mph so I'm sure I won't walk away after some painful days on the mountain...I'm committed.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
kyouness

learning to snowboard is quite a bit different from learning to longboard. it's a lot more frustrating, though he's more than likely to love it once he learns.

to OP: i'm thinking 155 is a tad too long for what you intend to use it for. i'm about your size (5'7" 135lb) and i ride a 152 that feels a tad too long for the park. i, personally, feel that a 148-150 would be great for me to do all mountain freestyle. i'd recommend going with a 152 for you. it should be stable enough to get you around the mountain, and short enough to transition you into park.

as for waist width, you have no need for a wide board. even midwides aren't necessary. reason for this is boots usually have an incline on the heel and toe, and bindings provide enough lift to get your feet up off the ground to negate what little heel and toe drag you get. i never experience any significant drag even on hard carves with a smaller waist width board.

as for the boots, try them on and do a bunch of range of movement tests to see if there are any pressure points.

for boards i'd recommend looking at Rome, CAPiTA, Battaleon, and maybe LibTech (though i wouldn't recommend rocker as a beginner).

Last edited by kyouness; 11-05-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
303Boarder

Hey thanks Kyouness...I'm just tryin to find some folks who really know what they're doing, at least for the most part. I have already tried on the boots somewhere in house and they felt amazing! I initially wanted to get an M3 Discord but was told they don't make really good boards anymore. I also have looked at the Clash/Nitro Team/Burton Deuce/ and was finally referred to the Signal for an all mountain/park board but I'm not sure?? Ok thats what I was thinking about the width of the board cuz I feel its only going to attract more weight and make things harder to do.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
kyouness

the CAPiTA Stairmaster's a midwide stiffer park board that handles the mountain well.

the Rome Graft is a nice board that's just above the Artifact in stiffness but right under the Agent.

O-matic makes some pretty good boards, as does Stepchild.

you could find better bindings than the missions. look for Union Forces or Rome 390's/Arsenals. Targas if you wanna shell out the cash. i'm partial to the Unions.

as for the width, a wider board will be harder to turn. at size 10, you can still afford to be in the normal widths.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
303Boarder

I was looking at a Lib Tech Youth in Asia 153 thats at 25.0cm and its at $270 which is good cuz I'm not tryin to spend a ton but is Lib Tech woth getting as a beginner? I'm not sure I want to spend on a Graft. The missions are cheap and I think will be ok to begin with right? My buddy is an experienced rider who owns a Lib Tech and he's telling me to go up first cuz some people like wider boards and such.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
kyouness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Boarder View Post
I was looking at a Lib Tech Youth in Asia 153 thats at 25.0cm and its at $270 which is good cuz I'm not tryin to spend a ton but is Lib Tech woth getting as a beginner? I'm not sure I want to spend on a Graft. The missions are cheap and I think will be ok to begin with right? My buddy is an experienced rider who owns a Lib Tech and he's telling me to go up first cuz some people like wider boards and such.
if that's the case, missions will be ok while you're learning. the boots are the most important. the problem with getting super expensive boards with new tech is that, as a beginner, you won't really notice how the tech helps you. the problem with getting a really bad board as a beginner is that you'll outgrow it in the first season. also for the wide, there really is no benefit going wide as opposed to getting a normal width unless you've got size 12's or something. if anything, you'll just make things harder on yourself even when you get better at riding. the snowboarding game is all about pivoting your forward heel and toe to bend the nose in the direction you want to go. a wider board dampens that action.

and if you're going Lib, get the Banana. start shopping for last season's leftovers.

Last edited by kyouness; 11-05-2009 at 01:05 PM.