Just bought a down Jacket from 686 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Just bought a down Jacket from 686

Just bought a 686 Ace Weave Down Jacket. Its an 07/08 model and is brand new. Got it from Brociety.com for 66% off. Retail for 300 got it for 95$. I saw the deal and shit my pants, so I bought it. Anyone ever owned or owns a down jacket have any reviews to post here then go ahead. This is the first down jacket ive ever bought. The only thing im hearing about is down leakage in the seams. Could this be a problem? How long has your down Jacket lasted you? How many grams of down does yours have and what kind of warmth does that amount provide? Thank You.
Jacko_390srock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Down jackets are super warm. Until they get wet, then they are useless. If you are using it for snowboarding, climates like those found in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado, you should be fine. Other places like Cali or the PNW it might not hold up. Then again, I doubt you would need to ride in a down jacket in those spots anyway. For going out at night and around town, they are perfect and toasty warm. One warning, if you are snowboarding with the jacket, they can get torn pretty easily in the trees. Nature of the jacket.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think I have that coat or if not a similar 686 jacket. It is super warm and like all of their stuff made well. The only issue could be weather. Besides wet conditions, if it is not really cold you will sweat your ass off. I only use mine during the coldest days in NE. I don't even bring it when I am out in UT or CO, I just layer under my shell.
tekniq33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

This may or may not help, but I use merino wool first layers. It has amazing temperature control and is better for wicking sweat, temp control and not smelling then any other synthetical fibre. Might balance out a problem with a damp jacket. Wool is the best fibre to have against your skin (no, it's not itchy if you pay the extra) because it never gets wet and cold, unlike fleece. I highly recommend it, I bought MEC Merino Lightweight Zip T-Shirt (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available this year with the matching pants. They are a great light layer. I mostly just wear them to balance the temp of my body. They won't keep the down from sweating your sack off, but they'll keep your sack from getting wet and cold =p. Nothing is worse than sweating and then being freezing cold... then smelling like the inside of an ass kingdom.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote