Will this jacket be warm - Burton Restricted? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will this jacket be warm - Burton Restricted?

I have been looking for a new jacket and I don't like ANYTHING!!!! They are all pretty ugly or plain. I want something colorful with a nice pattern - lines plaid whatever but I really cant find anything very nice.

I did find this one though. Its not like my dream jacket and I really don't want to buy anything else burton but its pretty nice imo. (what do you guys think?)

Men's Burton Restricted Ratched Snowboard Jacket | Burton Snowboards (in the blue, default color)

But im a little worried that it won't be very warm. its only 10000 5000 waterproof with critical taping (WTF BURTON!). It has some insulation on it though supposedly (40g)

I really don't want to wear much under it. I have a jacket from columbia right now just a plain jacket but it has a niceee thick warm lining. I only wear hot chillies and a t shirt under most of the time (if its not icey cold outside), which is great.

So what should I do? ive looked through everyyy singlee freaking pageeeee of jackets at the house and dogfunk and this is the best I could find. Am i missing something?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I didn't see a clothing section so I hope this is a good place to put this.

Edit: I found this also Save on 686 Plexus Axis Softshell Snowboard Jacket Cyan Windowpane - Mens Snowboards Jackets Clothes Snowboarding Apparel Clothing
Looks alright on this guy 686 Plexus Axis Softshell - Snowboard Ski Jacket Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

It has more breathability and lining ( i think) than burton for like 70 less (burton is so messed up). If the liner is replaceable thats great idk though
Price isn't a concern.

Last edited by ifresh21; 11-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.
ifresh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifresh21 View Post
But im a little worried that it won't be very warm. its only 10000 5000 waterproof with critical taping (WTF BURTON!).
You expect Burton to put function over form?
You forget their demographic.

I don't like the insulated jackets, it leaves you with less options on the warm days. If you need extra insulation, just wear another layer under the jacket.

I used and Oakley extraction jacket last year. This year I'm going with the 686 Smarty Marker in gunmetal gray, they also come in plaid. 15K waterproof (the minimum I'll accept), zip out liner.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
You expect Burton to put function over form?
You forget their demographic.

I don't like the insulated jackets, it leaves you with less options on the warm days. If you need extra insulation, just wear another layer under the jacket.

I used and Oakley extraction jacket last year. This year I'm going with the 686 Smarty Marker in gunmetal gray, they also come in plaid. 15K waterproof (the minimum I'll accept), zip out liner.
Another reason burton sucks, I guess.

What layer would you wear under the jacket? Like whats good enough to keep you warm?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok I really like the 686 plexus axis (I really want to get it), but supposedly its just a softshell.

What exactly does this mean?

Could I just wear something good under it and call it a day? Or will the plexus not provide enough waterproofing/breathability.

My idea is to just buy it and then buy something else thats warm and thin to wear under. Will that be good?

I really want to make the jacket work for me but im worried about warmth

Last edited by ifresh21; 11-06-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifresh21 View Post
Ok I really like the 686 plexus axis, but supposedly its just a softshell.

What exactly does this mean?

Could I just wear something good under it and call it a day? Or will it not provide enough waterproofing/breathability.

My idea is to just buy it and then buy something else thats warm and thin to wear under. Will that be good?
What THE HECK is Soft Shell? | Backcountry.com from Backcountry.com

On all but the coldest days, I find my smartwool base layer + a T-shirt under the hardshell to be plenty. I'm boarding, afterall, not sitting still (unless you've got a slow lift).

On colder days, I'll throw a sweatshirt on over the base layer.

On even colder days, it's base, t-shirt, sweatshirt, hardshell.

I've got two sweatshirts that are two sizes too large for me just for layering.

Don't forget the neck gaiter, VERY important.

I HAD an insulated Oakley jacket for a short time last year, through Whiskey militia. It was just too hot in there most days and I couldn't take off layers to solve the problem. Thankfully Whiskey had an unlimited return policy back then.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

im so confused this sucks why couldnt they make it a full out jacket idk what to do do you guys think i should buy it or leave it

I want to look good anddd be warm.

is it not possible to be both?

Would the burton be warmer with the 2 layer durashell? idk the specs say that the 686 has more waterproof and stuff but the burton seems more like a full out jacket?

Are there any nice jackets like the 686

Last edited by ifresh21; 11-06-2009 at 11:00 AM.