3 questions - flow bindings/type of boots/used board inspection - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
alucarDuo

Default 3 questions - flow bindings/type of boots/used board inspection

Weight: 140-150?
Riding style: freeriding i guess
Budget: around $300 (can stretch if need be)

Hi, I'm looking to buy some gear to start snowboarding again. I'm not new to it, but I am new to the gear aspect. Also, I'll probably be going up a moderate amount and be using this gear for a few years. So here are my questions:

1. Which of the following Flow bindings is the most worth it: Flite 3, The Five, M7, M9? These are just the ones I found on ebay that fit my budget of $100-150 and are all 2009 models. Is there another one that'd be worth it to splurge on? How is the quality compared to regular bindings of similar price? Are they as hard to set up as some people say? Btw, I'm only asking about specifically about Flows are because the idea intrigues me so it's not like I'm dead set on them. But they did seem pretty easy to use when I checked some out.

2. What kinds of boots should I be looking for and how hard/soft should they be? What determines this? I have read the boots thread I feel like I should at least try to narrow my search before I go try a bunch out. Any recommendations? Brands/models to look for/avoid? How much should I invest in them?

3. I'm buying a used GNU Carbon High Beam off of craigslist, what should I be looking for in terms of damage, quality, or anything that would persuade/dissuade me from getting it? Although I'm kinda set on it since it's only $100 and I've heard good things about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarDuo View Post
Weight: 140-150?
Riding style: freeriding i guess
Budget: around $300 (can stretch if need be)

Hi, I'm looking to buy some gear to start snowboarding again. I'm not new to it, but I am new to the gear aspect. Also, I'll probably be going up a moderate amount and be using this gear for a few years. So here are my questions:

1. Which of the following Flow bindings is the most worth it: Flite 3, The Five, M7, M9? These are just the ones I found on ebay that fit my budget of $100-150 and are all 2009 models. Is there another one that'd be worth it to splurge on? How is the quality compared to regular bindings of similar price? Are they as hard to set up as some people say? Btw, I'm only asking about specifically about Flows are because the idea intrigues me so it's not like I'm dead set on them. But they did seem pretty easy to use when I checked some out.

2. What kinds of boots should I be looking for and how hard/soft should they be? What determines this? I have read the boots thread I feel like I should at least try to narrow my search before I go try a bunch out. Any recommendations? Brands/models to look for/avoid? How much should I invest in them?

3. I'm buying a used GNU Carbon High Beam off of craigslist, what should I be looking for in terms of damage, quality, or anything that would persuade/dissuade me from getting it? Although I'm kinda set on it since it's only $100 and I've heard good things about it.
1. Flows blow. i have some. but m9s would be the best(of your choices) Union forces would be best, or something like ride RX or SPIs. I like rome so the targas would be great, if not then check out rome arsenals
2. Boots should be very comfortable, along the lines of "fits like a glove" but multiplied time 10.
3. a few top sheet scratches and maybe base cuts(not deep to the core) should be workable. if it has core shots, or delam then i would say stick away, unless you are a handyman and can fix things to your liking.

Last edited by CMSbored; 11-07-2009 at 02:28 AM.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

1. flows are a love em or hate em relationship, but i would stay clear of em (they are also more expensive)
2. as above. make sure they comfy and prob for you not super stiff, i duno that just my preff (i like soft boots)
3. make sure the base looks like no core shots and make sure the egdes are intact and watch for delam and retention of camber for that board.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I love Flows. Don't get anything below the M9 level. That basically leaves you with the M-series and the NXT-series to choose from.

They're light, easy in-out, and once you get them dialed in, they're excellent bindings.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have flow 05/06 Team bindings...I like them def easy to get in and out of. I would go with what MunkySpunk said.
TMXMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Full disclosure: We have been Flow dealers since their first year in business, 15 years ago, and I ride on the new Antti Autti's so you can consider me heavily biased.

With guys like Scotty Lago and Antti putting their input into the bindings, the designs have become unreal over the last few years. Also, Flow has among the best warranty rates in the industry. We sold 1,300 pair last year and serviced 3 warranties (all minor).

But, talk is cheap so I'll put it out there. The first guy that PM's his name and shipping address gets a free pair of 2009 M11 or M9. Your choice. The second guy can have a set at $70.00. The third guy at $100.00.

Doubters and Flow haters are welcome to participate.

All I ask is that you come on back here when you have put em through hell, and let us know your honest opinion.

I'll put either of those bindings up against anything on the market.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 11-07-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Like some other people said, it's either a hit or miss with Flow bindings. Some love them and some hate them. Personally, I haven't had any experience with them so I can't really say much about them.
iKimshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have used flows and happen to love them.

i first picked up some flite 3's for cheap money just to try them out on a vacation with a bunch of skiers. after dialing them in, i fell in love. super comfortable, responsive and easy to use. i used them for an entire season (~30 days) without one problem. last season i picked up some nxt at and they were even better, stiffer and more geared for the type of riding i do. my brother used the flite 3s all last year without a problem.

i truly believe that people think they are crap because they either have never tried them or because they don't think they are ever tight enough. with traditional bindings you can crank em down until you feet fall asleep, but flows stay super tight however there are no pressure points so they don't feel as tight. <---- hope that makes sense. whatever the case be, i'll ride nothing but flows...to each his own.
Ghost_Rider_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Wow, you guys are quick!

The first guy to respond (almost immediately) was a user in Canada who uses the name "Prophecies" here on the forum.

He wrote:
Hey, I saw your post regarding the flow bindings.I've never tried them before, but from what I've seen, they aren't great. Perhaps you can change my opinion of them.

For the binding model... it's like I said, I'm not familiar with flow, so I'd like to try the stiffer bindings they have to offer.

Thank you.
I think he is in for a pleasant surprise. Prophecies, I am going to send you a set of the M 11's. This is what you will be getting Flow M11 2009 Snowboard Bindings. They are a stiffer model while the M9 is a freestyle binding.

A user named "Thadwood" was the second responder, and I will be hapy to send you a pair for the $70.00 mentioned above. Karpediem, you wre third, so the $100.00 offer goes to you. If either of you guys wants to do that, lemmeeno.

I hope you guys enjoy the stoker!

Last edited by Wiredsport; 11-07-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have never used Flow bindings, I have checked them out at a few shops and I wasnt very impressed by the feel of them. To me anyways, they seem as if they would be very good beginner bindings, I have never found it very difficult or slow to work a standard binding system that consits of straps. If anyone can correct me please let me know, I like to learn new things, including new information about Flow bindings.
VTRDR is offline   Reply With Quote