Is this too much boot overhang? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Purple Face

Default Is this too much boot overhang?

Last edited by Purple Face; 11-07-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

no it is not (if your boot is above your board) you should be just fine.
CMSbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

that looks just fine, mine hangs over way more and i'm fine.

btw is that a 08-09 www?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

What size boots what board

It's good
ifresh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You have some good advice above. That looks fine.

Boot design plays a big role in toe drag as does binding ramping and binding base base height.

Boots that have a solid bevel at the toe/heel drag less. Many freestyle boots push for more surface contact and reduce bevel. This helps with contact, but if you have a lot of overhang with those boots it hurts in terms of toe drag.

The best way to test is to put your (tightly laced) boots into your bindings and strap them in tightly. It is important that you have the heel pulled all the way back into the bindings heel cup or the test wont help.

On a carpeted floor place your board flat on its base. kneel behind the heelside edge and lift that edge so that it rests on your knees and so that the toeside edge is angled down into the carpet. Now press down with both hands using firm pressure, one hand on each of the boots. This will compress the board's sidecut and simulate a turn on hard snow. You can change the angle of the board on your knees to become progressively steeper and you will be able to see at what angle you will start getting toe drag. You will want to repeat the test for your heelside as well. If you are not getting drag at normal turn and landing angles, then you are good to go.

Also, for most riding styles, it is a must to have some overhang, and you usually want at least 1/2 inch so that you get leverage over your edges.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 11-07-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
kyouness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Also, for most riding styles, it is a must to have some overhang, and you usually want at least 1/2 inch so that you get leverage over your edges.
perfect piece of advice there. i've been trying to figure a way to convince some of my newbie friends why they don't need wide boards if there's a bit of overhang, but i could never find the right words. the leverage bit is exactly what i've been trying to convey, ha.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouness View Post
perfect piece of advice there. i've been trying to figure a way to convince some of my newbie friends why they don't need wide boards if there's a bit of overhang, but i could never find the right words. the leverage bit is exactly what i've been trying to convey, ha.
Here's another thing you can use to tell them about leverage. There is typically 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of padding, insulation, and outer boot material that extend past the toe and heel. You can not use that to any real advantage for leverage, really only your foot itself can provide real pressure. That is important because a lot of the boot that extends over the edge cannot be used to leverage the board. That is why 1/2 inch should be considered the MINIMUM. Add to that that 1/2 to 3/4 inches of overhang with most boots will not cause any toe drag (and certainly none for anything but the most extreme carving style turns).

Consider this: A guys who tries to size his board so that the toe and heel of the boot that he uses are right at the toe and heelside edges is really setting himself up so that his toes and heel (of his bare foot) will be 1/2 inch or more WITHIN the boards edges. Talk about minimizing leverage and killing potential performance! This is one of the biggest and most common gear-setup-cripplers that we see.

Last edited by Wiredsport; 11-07-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Purple Face

Ahh sweet. Thanks guys for the advice.

Yes it is a 08-09 K2 WWW
Old 11-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not like it needs to be said at this point, but that is fine...

I wear anywhere from 11, 11.5, 12 depending on the boot and I ride pretty short boards (153, 157) and I have never gotten any wide or mid-wide or anything... Of course every boot, board, and binding is different.... but most people make way too big of a deal over nothing.

I just can't seem to shake the shackles of the City boy Blues
$Lindz$ is offline   Reply With Quote