Atomic Axum 2010/Freestyle board use for all-mountain Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down Atomic Axum 2010/Freestyle board use for all-mountain Question

Hi everyone,
Was browsing around snowboarding sites, and stumbled on this one.
Never knew a large snowboarding forum existed haha, so Im pretty hyped.

Anyways, I'm a beginner-intermediate rider and I'm curious over a few things.

I recently got my hands on a used 2010 Atomic Axum for a great deal and I'm just wondering if I made the wrong choice since its a more freestyle-oriented board.

Basically, I ride very little park and mainly ride on the groomed and powder runs at resorts. I assume that's called free-riding.
Being kinda new to the sport, I wanted to work on improving my carving this year.

Okay here's the problem. I have not ridden any mid-high end boards before and just got the 2010 atomic axum. However, it's suppose to be a park board.

For those of you who don't know, it has a pop rocker freestyle shape to it, a 2.5 degree park bevel, and a centered stance.

With its shape and specs, I'm curious if I will be able to carve efficiently and go down runs fine?

Will the 2.5degree bevel hinder my ability to carve? (I know nothing about bevels and what they do)

Is this board okay for me? Will it perform well on powder and groomed runs (my style of riding)?

Will the centered stance have a big effect on my style of riding?

Basically, I'm curious if I can use a freestyle/park board for all-mountain use. I'm not sure if the Axum will be decent for that. At this point, I'm just cruising down runs.

If anyone rides an Axum, or is an experienced rider, please let me know your insight and share some knowledge!

Looking forward to everyone's replies, thanks for taking the time to read. Sorry it's a bit wordy haha.

P.S. Even if you dont ride an Axum, but ride a freestyle-oriented board, let me know what you think.
dr4ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You will almost certainly be just fine... If it's some sort of reverse cambered board like your saying that already puts you at an advantage considering your a noob.

Unless your 300lbs and this board is a 145 or your 100lbs and this board is a 169, you should be just fine for now

You should learn what you like and don't like from this board and your next one you can dial in a bit better.

But as for right now, just have fun man ( =
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your input .
I'm 5'5 weighing 145lbs (give or take a few), riding a 156cm board this year.

Feel free to give your input on the topic everyone! =)
Old 11-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

What if we told you it wouldn't work? Would it matter?

I don't understand how you know everything about the board and got it anyways despite what you say about your riding style. Did you do zero research or was it just too good of a deal to pass up?

You could ride a plank and work on carving, it doesn't matter. You'll probably just find that it's a bit on the washier side and desire more edge control and response for those groomers from a stiffer all-mtn board down the road.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll be fine with this board. Just go and have fun!
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for your input guys, I was just curious / a bit worried it might not work to my advantage.

jimster716: Yes, to me it was too good of a deal to pass up despite it being a freestyle-oriented board, so I grabbed the opportunity. A good condition 2010 Atomic Axum for $100? Seems good to me haha.
Also, if I was told it didnt work, especially from experienced riders here, I would've grabbed another board, and just use this board for when I start freestyle riding. Hope that clears things up.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
What if we told you it wouldn't work? Would it matter?

I don't understand how you know everything about the board and got it anyways despite what you say about your riding style. Did you do zero research or was it just too good of a deal to pass up?

You could ride a plank and work on carving, it doesn't matter. You'll probably just find that it's a bit on the washier side and desire more edge control and response for those groomers from a stiffer all-mtn board down the road.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Be nice to our new members.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? Be nice to our new members.
Thanks, I'll take your command into consideration.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

To be honest bevel and rocker aren't the greatest when you're hitting groomers all day. The bevel isn't like a detune, so you'll be ok, but it's not going to be fun on ice. If I'm correct that board also have ceramic inlay around the edges and that will make you're knees pretty sore after a while on ice. It's made to make you feel the metal on metal when hitting rails. It's fun in the park, but generally is harder on your legs. The rocker and bevel might really suck on ice as well. From what I have experience on reverse camber it's not an all round preformer like companies want you to believe. It handles two things well: powder and park. I personally don't like rocker for anything but jibbing or powder myself. But you might like it if you noodle around on the hill. The Axum isn't too soft so stability in softer snow won't be an issue. It will work for you and will be fun on the powder days but is far from optimal for what you sound like you want.

I ride park boards for freeride as well, since I jib all over the place. But I don't use reverse cambre or bevel/detuning outside the park.. that might be painful. Rocker below 5mm is fine everywhere, but something like 10mm would suck on hard pack and ice. That bevel isn't enough to stop you from freeriding, but I think with the ceramic and the bevel you'll be hurtin' a bit on an icy day. On the other hand, it'll be a fun deck to ride in soft and powdery stuff. You'll get used to it, and maybe you'll really like it.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Anor, thanks for your input and including your own experiences -which was something I was looking for in a reply. I guess I'll find out how I like it when I ride. I probably will look for a better suited board for my riding style next year. I'm hoping this board will allow me to progress still without too much pain in the legs haha. Sharpening edges will help with the ice/groomed runs, regardless of the bevel right? Sorry if that's a dumb question haha, still new.

If anyone else has something to say, feel free to.