Waxing Iron - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waxing Iron

So my father bought a swix waxing iron. I used it for the first time with permission. I noticed that after I was done the wax job, the bottom had surface scratches on it. This could have possibly been the edges that caused this or mini pebbles on the board.

Are your waxing irons scratched? If he bitches at me i need something to tell him... either that il buy a new one or tell him its fine.
YanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you wipe the base of your board with a dry cloth before waxing? It could've been the edges but I doubt it.

It's just a wax iron, don't baby it. I use a $3 iron I bought from value village
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you sharpened your edges before hand, the small particles will remain on the board if not wiped away. When you start to wax, the iron will spread them around, scratch the base, fuck up the iron etc.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

tiny scratches on the iron? you should worry more about giant tarantulas in your pants

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanTheMan View Post
So my father bought a swix waxing iron. I used it for the first time with permission. I noticed that after I was done the wax job, the bottom had surface scratches on it. This could have possibly been the edges that caused this or mini pebbles on the board.

Are your waxing irons scratched? If he bitches at me i need something to tell him... either that il buy a new one or tell him its fine.
its just from the edges, mine has small scratches all over it from the edges. The first time i waxed it got scratches and i had i cleaned the base and hadn't sharpened the edges so it wasn't from anything on the base. Don't worry about it, its normal and doesn't affect the wax quality at all.
Lyndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I wiped down the board. I assume its just the edges. About those tarantulas, i infested my underwear with crabs to get rid of them
YanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't worry about the scratches. I'd be more worried about the crabs, lol.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

My iron is all scratched up. I never worried about it. It's from the edges.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Waxing Irons will always get scratched up because most of them use aluminum as their base.

Aluminum heats up very quickly but doesn't retain heat that well. Also, its a soft metal that can easy be scratched. Any dirt particles on the board can cause scratches and any burrs on the edges can as well. Just about anything will make scratches on the base of a waxing iron.

Use a little trick I learned from a Japanese buddy of mine.

Use a scraper and scrape off as much of the existing wax as possible. Then use alcohol or base cleaner to remove any surface dirt. Instead of dripping wax on the board, rub it on like a crayon. You save wax this way as you only use what you need and when you scrape off, there's a significant difference in how much wax you save. I usually do one rub on pass from tip to tip. Then go back and rub on edge to edge. You will know what I mean when you see the patter that develops.

When heating up the wax, place some wax paper between the waxing iron and the board. Wax from the paper will melt as well and because its a different type of wax that stay on top of snowboard/ski wax and lets the iron glide easier, it will never seep wax from the paper in the base of the board and the paper will actually pick up the snowboard/ski wax instead. What it will also do is pick up a lot of the dirt. So you have to change the paper out a few times to get a board done but its totally worth it. Once you see how much dirt it actually picks up, you will always use wax paper when heating wax in the base.

After that, scrape off, as I said before, this method will not use much wax at all so you wont be scraping off much. The only downside is this method is much more time consuming. Especially the part where you rub the wax on the base like a crayon.

There's a video on youtube as well.

YouTube - #318 How To Wax A Snowboard
VietOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
neddyDH

dont' worry about the scratches - normal wear and tear

if for any reason you chip the metal heating element or it isn't perfectly flat, take an arkansas stone and flatten that baby out/remove any burrs

buy ur dad a 6 pack and tell him thanks -