Gnu Riders Choice vs. Never Summer Revolver-R - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
tdbaugha

Default Gnu Riders Choice vs. Never Summer Revolver-R

I am buying a new board in the coming weeks. I have narrowed it down to the GNU Riders Choice 162W and the Never Summer Revolver-R 161. What are your opinions on what I should get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Live2ridE

Well if you go to another forum will get a non bias answer but you will find out here that this site is full of Never Summer fanboys.

Few years ago it was Capita and Rome etc... Its a trend

Dont get me wrong NS are good boards but you wont get a educated answer most likely.

Either board is awesome but now to my answer. I have never rode a Revolver-R but a EVO and I now own a Rider Choice, Dark Series and Burton Custom X and Riders Choice is my fav by far.

I would say that the Magnatraction is the toppper of those 2boards.

Go Riders Choice but you cant go wrong with the NS
Old 11-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hey here comes your educated answer cause ive owned a banana an RC and currently ride a NS SLR... im going to say go with NS unless you get a Mervin board with the CO2 banana cut... The RC was a previous fave of mine but NS adaptation of reverse camber and camber makes for a way smoother ride especially at speed.. With both the Mervin boards that were purely the banana cut the boards felt floppy at speed ... my 156 felt like the nose and tail were huge.. I didnt realize this was a result of the banana rise until I put in time on the NS which has the camber/reverse camber blend
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Live2ridE

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritosandsnow View Post
hey here comes your educated answer cause ive owned a banana an RC and currently ride a NS SLR... im going to say go with NS unless you get a Mervin board with the CO2 banana cut... The RC was a previous fave of mine but NS adaptation of reverse camber and camber makes for a way smoother ride especially at speed.. With both the Mervin boards that were purely the banana cut the boards felt floppy at speed ... my 156 felt like the nose and tail were huge.. I didnt realize this was a result of the banana rise until I put in time on the NS which has the camber/reverse camber blend
Well you mean C2 Power banana traction. Which I believe is only on 2 boards including T.Rice. But you also got to remember the Skate Banana is not really a high speed slayer its more of your intermidiate park board its somewhat soft and not made for high speeds.

The Riders Choice is close to the flex of TRS and both boards are stable at high speeds. Remember the Riders Choice has peppered the circuit in awards from the last few years that has to say something. And if your going for speed forget the GNU and just get the T.Rice with C2 Banana. Its very stiff and lots of pop!

Again the Never Summer is still Killer too.

Do like the graphics on the 2010 Riders Chice better which is rare if that means anything to you.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
SMS1977

Live2ridE:

I am currently trying to pick a new board and am considering the T.Rice, TRS, RC and SLR. Are you able to tell me the differences between this years T.Rice, RC and TRS in terms of stiffness, weight, etc. I have heard that the TRS and RC are the same board, but they have difference specs so I'm thinking that there must be some differences?

thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Live2ridE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1977 View Post
Live2ridE:

I am currently trying to pick a new board and am considering the T.Rice, TRS, RC and SLR. Are you able to tell me the differences between this years T.Rice, RC and TRS in terms of stiffness, weight, etc. I have heard that the TRS and RC are the same board, but they have difference specs so I'm thinking that there must be some differences?

thanks
As far as the Trice: It has the NEW C2 Banana traction its a camber at the tail and nose ends also with the reverse camber in the middlle like most BTX boards. The Trice s about a 8 in stiffness in my shoes and is great for Kickers and hauling ass as well some freestyle riding and powder.

TRS and Riders choice is more of the all mountain board capable of the park,pipe,Kickers and freestylin more of the all mountain board does it all and are about a 6.5-7 in stiffness. Love mine.

Riders Choice=
YouTube - 2010 Gnu Riders Choice Snowboard

Trice=
YouTube - 2010 Lib Tech C2 Travis Rice Snowboard

TRS=
YouTube - 2010 Lib Tech TRS Snowboard
Old 11-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
SMS1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ridE View Post
As far as the Trice: It has the NEW C2 Banana traction its a camber at the tail and nose ends also with the reverse camber in the middlle like most BTX boards. The Trice s about a 8 in stiffness in my shoes and is great for Kickers and hauling ass as well some freestyle riding and powder.

TRS and Riders choice is more of the all mountain board capable of the park,pipe,Kickers and freestylin more of the all mountain board does it all and are about a 6.5-7 in stiffness. Love mine.

Riders Choice=
YouTube - 2010 Gnu Riders Choice Snowboard

Trice=
YouTube - 2010 Lib Tech C2 Travis Rice Snowboard

TRS=
YouTube - 2010 Lib Tech TRS Snowboard
Thanks for the info. What I'm wondering is if the RC and the TRS are about the same stiffness or if one is more flexible than the other (I've seen the T.Rice and TRS in person, but none of my local shops have the RC or the Altered Genetics so I can't compare the feel of them).
Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had my hands on both the RC and The TRS and from just playing with them in the store I couldn't tell the difference outside of the graphic...

I'm having a similar debate but I think I'm going to go with the NS Legacy-R or Revolver-R because I do like their take on the reverse camber versus Mervin's straight Banana tech. My buddy has last years RC-BTX and I'll be riding that next month out in Utah along with a NS Legacy-R from this year to get a confirm on which one I really like better after riding head to head in the same conditions.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
SMS1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
I had my hands on both the RC and The TRS and from just playing with them in the store I couldn't tell the difference outside of the graphic...

I'm having a similar debate but I think I'm going to go with the NS Legacy-R or Revolver-R because I do like their take on the reverse camber versus Mervin's straight Banana tech. My buddy has last years RC-BTX and I'll be riding that next month out in Utah along with a NS Legacy-R from this year to get a confirm on which one I really like better after riding head to head in the same conditions.
Thanks for the info, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for (I like the graphic on the GNU better). I have heard some people say that in the past the RC was stiffer than the TRS so I wanted to confirm.

I am also having a similar debate, except with the NS SLR. However, a guy at one of my local shops was telling me about the benefits of the CO2 banana that is on the T.Rice, and he was saying that the dual camber on the board made it more aggressive and directed towards more advanced/aggressive riders (of which I am neither). So I was thinking that the NS RC tech would be the same. Also it will cost me about $100 more for the SLR (which in most cases would be worth it for the 3 yr warranty, but I've heard that Mervin is also pretty good about replacing defective boards).
Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've been hesitant in the past to buy Mervin boards due to their lack of fully wrapped edges and some delam issues I'd seen from other friends who have bought them...

I hear you on the differences in the reverse camber, that said eventhough the CO2 banana is essentially a bite of the RC Tech from NS it is still slightly different. The concept is the same with regards to giving you a more "poppy" rockered board but I don't think they're exactly the same. Do some searching on here I'm pretty sure there was a thread after SIA last year discussing the differences and similarities between the 2.

Also with regards to the TRS and RC eventhough I hate recommending talking to one of their reps because they'll definitely be trying to push their product on you I'd say send them an email and ask them the question directly. A couple of years back I was looking into the Skunk-Ape and the 11up and I couldn't tell the difference so I sent them a message about it and the rep was able to clarify the slight differences. I ended up not getting either but it was because I was able to get a sick deal on a lightly used Rome Flag so I went in that direction.

Another person to ask would be Burton Avenger... I'm pretty sure he's been on both of these boards already. Shoot him a PM and see what he says, he may not be a big fan of either but he should be able to tell you the differences...

Last edited by lisevolution; 11-12-2009 at 01:00 PM.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote