Waist Widths and Boot Sizes Clarification - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Gareth

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Waist Widths and Boot Sizes Clarification

Can someone clarify what waist size of board is optimal/sufficient for a US size 11 boot?

I picked up a relatively cheap K2 Believer161 at the end of last season, thought it would suit my snowboarding perfectly - mainly piste, diving off into some powder and then poncing about trying to do a few small jumps etc. Recently bought boots (Salomon Synapse) - they crept up to a US size 11 which is a size bigger than I thought I'd end up with, so now the conundrum, I have board waist width of 253mm - toes and heels overhang a little - about an inch both sides, thats riding about +15/-15, Is that going to pose any problems with drag or edge lift?

I am 6'1 tall, about 90kg - wondering now if I now need a Wide board (I rode a K2 Select2007 162W last season which is 268mm - that was fine and I wore with a US size10 boot, 1 size smaller than I now have!)

I am considering changing Beliver161 to the Nitro Team 162W @ 270mm or a Ride Antic 162W 263mm - Anyone with any input on these boards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
waist width is not directly connected to boot width

to figure out what fits, you have to take into account the size of the boot, the waist width, sidecut depth, and stance width (do you stand on the narrowest part of a board? no)

also a consideration can be boot bulkiness, boot shape, stance setback, sidecut setback, and height of the binding footbed

THERE ARE SPECIFIC REASONS AS TO WHY I AM MORE LOCAL THAN YOU

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another important factor is to notice if the overhang is actually dragging or not. In some occasions, you can have overhang, but when you set and edge you are still fine. You may have issues with hard carves, though.

When you say you crept up to an 11, does that mean the boot is to big, or that is the size that now actually fits you best?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Gareth

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I had a size 10 salomon hire boot last year whilst riding the K2Select162W, so i assumed that would be my size - not so when trying on new ones - Size 11's are the correct fit now.
The hire boots were clearly stretched!

Its the hard carves I am worried about - its exactly then that any overhang will cause a problem just when I need the edge grip most!!! Tried testing it at Hemel Hempstead snowdome but so crowded and narrow wasn't able to make any nice carve turns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode