Waist Widths and Boot Sizes Clarification - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gareth

Default Waist Widths and Boot Sizes Clarification

Can someone clarify what waist size of board is optimal/sufficient for a US size 11 boot?

I picked up a relatively cheap K2 Believer161 at the end of last season, thought it would suit my snowboarding perfectly - mainly piste, diving off into some powder and then poncing about trying to do a few small jumps etc. Recently bought boots (Salomon Synapse) - they crept up to a US size 11 which is a size bigger than I thought I'd end up with, so now the conundrum, I have board waist width of 253mm - toes and heels overhang a little - about an inch both sides, thats riding about +15/-15, Is that going to pose any problems with drag or edge lift?

I am 6'1 tall, about 90kg - wondering now if I now need a Wide board (I rode a K2 Select2007 162W last season which is 268mm - that was fine and I wore with a US size10 boot, 1 size smaller than I now have!)

I am considering changing Beliver161 to the Nitro Team 162W @ 270mm or a Ride Antic 162W 263mm - Anyone with any input on these boards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

waist width is not directly connected to boot width

to figure out what fits, you have to take into account the size of the boot, the waist width, sidecut depth, and stance width (do you stand on the narrowest part of a board? no)

also a consideration can be boot bulkiness, boot shape, stance setback, sidecut setback, and height of the binding footbed

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Another important factor is to notice if the overhang is actually dragging or not. In some occasions, you can have overhang, but when you set and edge you are still fine. You may have issues with hard carves, though.

When you say you crept up to an 11, does that mean the boot is to big, or that is the size that now actually fits you best?
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gareth

I had a size 10 salomon hire boot last year whilst riding the K2Select162W, so i assumed that would be my size - not so when trying on new ones - Size 11's are the correct fit now.
The hire boots were clearly stretched!

Its the hard carves I am worried about - its exactly then that any overhang will cause a problem just when I need the edge grip most!!! Tried testing it at Hemel Hempstead snowdome but so crowded and narrow wasn't able to make any nice carve turns.