New goggles - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
BoardingBanana

Default New goggles

I'm going on my second week boarding soon and I want to buy some goggles, these will be my first, now I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

A local shop is selling Smith goggles. I had my eye on the Smith Scope Pro (mirror) because it looks decent and it's quite cheap. The mirror lens looks like a pretty good alround lens but I'm worried that I will be in trouble when the weather get's bad. The problem with this goggle is that you can't change the lens. Do you guys think I'll need an extra lens for bad weather? Or will this one do, because they have more smith goggles (with 2 lenses as well) but they are way more expensive.

Last edited by BoardingBanana; 11-13-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

you'll need another lens or pair of goggles for when it's not so sunny out. I try to buy goggles that come with 2 lenses - one for day and one for night. It would seem the most practical but it's not that common for companies to sell them like this! Or I look for goggles where replacement lenses can be purchased for cheap. Sometimes it's more convenient (don't have to swap out a lens) and even more cost-efficient to just purchase 2 pairs of goggles. You could also just buy one pair that has an all around lens like a persimmon. A mirror is really only good for when it's really sunny.

by the way... you can get the smith scope mirror 2009 for $21 at sierrasnowboard...

Last edited by sumo28; 11-13-2009 at 09:48 AM.
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
BoardNbob

Heres a lens guide

SMITH LENS GUIDE

According to google, the scope pro has the ignitor mirror lens on it. This is supposed to be good from medium conditions. It's not exactly an all around lens so you may struggle to see in low light conditions or at night. I currently have a pair of Oakley A Frames with Blue Iridium lenses on them and I can't see shit at night. I usually just put my goggles on my head and ride without them. I would say you might have a similar problem if you don't by either an all around lens or one separately that's specifically for night. It doesn't really bother me that much though. I would go for the cheaper one. It's your call
Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
BoardingBanana

I never board at night, so I only have to worry about bad weather. The lens guide is very handy, maybe I should just buy this one, and if the weather gets really bad I will buy an extra bad weather goggle over there.

One thing is sure and that is that it will be better than my brown sunglasses from last year.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
BoardingBanana

Quote:
For a versatile all-around Smith lens, Randolph singled out the Ignitor Mirror as the best option and called it, “a little more refined than RC36,” Smith’s older all-around lens, named for its rose and copper tints, producing 36 percent VLT.
Source: Ski Goggle Science Part 2: Hints on tints

Sounds good, think I will pick this up!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

sounds good, go for it
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote