Board technology and constructon - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Freerider91

Default Board technology and constructon

I have been away from snowboarding for the last few years, and I am looking to get some new. My most recent purchase was a Burton Blunt, either 06 or 07. It is a great jib board, but I seemed to get away from the park, and enjoyed cruising groomed trails and glades. The Blunt felt like a wet noodle in these conditions and it couldn't keep up with me. I want to get another board this year because my college has a club that takes us to VT many times for rediculously low prices. When I bought the blunt, I was unaware of the technology and how much it plays a role in choosing a board. I don't know whether I should look into camber style boards or rocker or any other specs for that matter. I know there are pros and cons of each, but for groomed trails in NE I don't know whats best. As I said before I am a poor college student so my budget would like to be around $400 for quality all mountain board. Many of the boards I have looked into are classified as beginner boards, such as the Rome Crail. I like the Rome Agent, but I don't know if Im willing to shell out $500 for it. What type of board should I look into, rocker, camber etc.
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rocketbass88

Here are a few I would recommend that are very all-around types of boards-
GNU Carbon Credit Series BTX - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com
Ride Antic - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

This would be the BEST choice for an all-mountainer around your price range, however it's still $40 more than you want to spend. I'd HIGHLY recommend figuring out a way to get another $40 together and get this one.
Rome Graft - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com
Old 11-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Freerider91

Thanks, those are are definite possibilities. As for my budget, I don't need to spend under 400, but it was a goal I set. If I can get a much better board for a bit more, I will do it.

How does the Rome Graft compare to the Agent?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rocketbass88

The Agent is a better board, but you get to pay for it. The Graft is no slouch though, I demo'd one last year and it was a REALLY fun and confident board.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Freerider91

any opinions on board style? As far as the original camber design, or the rocker like the Banana Tech from GNU?
Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider91 View Post
any opinions on board style? As far as the original camber design, or the rocker like the Banana Tech from GNU?
ive ridin camber forever and just got a lib tech skunk ape with banana. havent gotten to take it out yet but friends of mine that switched to rocker a few years ago said that its a more effortless catchfree ride. cant wait to get on the mountain.

i would get a lib tech or gnu they are the only boards i have bought in 6 years.
CaRMaNiA666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Freerider91

The main issue I see with rocker style boards is the carving. I love to carve, and if going to a rocker will limit my carving ability, then I would stick to camber style boards. Im just trying to wiegh my options and figure out which is the smarter investment.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you my friend need to be introduced to CAPiTA =).
these are really good boards and they are like 100$ cheaper than boards of same quality and diff brand.

for you i would look into maybe a mid life photo as a more all mtn freestlye board with camber, and for a rocker board, more towards park i would suggest the sierrascope. or the indoor survival.

also take a look at the Omni from signal. from what i have heard a quality board.

i have a rome agent and a capita stairmaster an i must say the agent is a really nice board with tons of pop, but it is def expensive. if i knew bout capita or signal before i got the agent i prob woulda gotten one of those boards.

imo signal and capita, and other small brands make some good stuff but for much cheaper.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Freerider91

Capita is definitely something to consider. I would love to support a smaller company.

If this helps at all, I am looking for a Burton Custon X but for a much lower cost. The specs of the custom x are exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Freerider91

I did a lot of searching and found an 09 Custom X for 350, but the EST binding system seems questionable. I already have a pair of mission bindings from 07 that I planned on using, are these compatible with the burton channel in the 09 Custom X?